Grenada Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

underwasser bolt

Contributor
Reaction score
Immigration and customs was a nightmare. 3 planes landed within minutes. It took hours to make it through the process. Immigration Officers had A/C. The Immigration lines did not. It was hot.

We stayed at the Gem on the south side of the island. Modest but clean, attentive, and no problems whatsoever. I would recommend the Gem in an instant.

We dove with Dive Grenada. Phil and Helen were awesome. This is full service diving at its best. Prices were good. Cojack, our normal divemaster for 7 days of diving was exceptional. All the dive masters were excellent, but Cojack was the kind of guy you want to drink beer with. My first dive was traumatic with multiple gear failure (minor stuff} Cojack fixed it on the boat within minutes. I saw the biggest ray I have ever seen (6 feet across or so) and the biggest eel (5 feet long plus) than I have ever seen in the Carribean. The animals were very photogenic. We got to within inches of the giant ray, the giant eel, and even got within inches of a giant turtle sitting on top of the Bianca C. We got hundreds of pictures. Cojack was brave enough to put our camera virtually down the throat of the giant eel. Great pictures.

Restaurants varied dramatically. First, most everything is closed on Sunday. IGA grocery store is great. We had a kitchen, so we did breakfast, snacks, and drinks in house. It is on the south side of St George.

Most restaurants were so so, at best. The high end places recommended were very western, about Red Lobster quality, but much more expensive. Local places I can recommend: BB's on the marina. Great local food. And BB is a great host. Need a quick lunch? Try La Plywood near the Gem. Best fish tacos I have ever had, and I have had them all over the world. Need more local food, try Patrick's near the Marina. It was good, but alot of food. Oh, and Patrick's only takes cash.

Visibility this time of year was so so. Near the Atlantic the thermoclines were visually obvious. Visibility changed dramatically, but that is where we saw the 6 ft ray. Worth the trouble.

Bianca C. is coming apart. Neat dive, but at 120 feet plus, you won't be there long. Beware the roads if you drive. Overall, great trip, worth the time and effort.

Enjoyed your practical, 'what you need to know' report. Got a few questions to follow up in case others interested in Grenada run across your thread in research.

1.) IIRC, Grenada is known mainly for wreck diving. How many different wrecks did you hit, and how was the coral reef diving?

2.) In your 7 days of diving, how many dives did you do? About how many of those were wreck dives?

3.) Did you find it to be mainly a '2-tank morning boat trip, back early afternoon and done' dive destination, or did they offer afternoon boat trips, night dives, etc...? I'm trying to get a sense of how many dives one could do in a day there.

4.) Was nitrox offered & how affordably? Did most divers use it much of the trip? Were people mainly diving air on the Bianca?

5.) The universal dive trip report question; what led you to pick Grenada over other regional options? How quick would you be to return there, vs. other Caribbean islands you could dive?

Richard.

We did 21 dives but only saw a couple of significant wrecks. Bianca C is neat, but deep. Was only there a few minutes. Other wrecks were small boats you could find in a lake. Frankly I like the wrecks in Nassau better, and saw more of them. Reef diving was OK. Not Bonaire, but better than a lot of areas. we did two dives in the morning and 1 in the afternoon all 7 days. Generally back before 4pm or so.

Nitrox was available, upon request. Ask ahead of time as it is mixed when requested, so maybe the day before you should ask. All divers I saw dove air. At 130 Bianca is a bit deep for most mixes of nitrox staying at the 1.4 ppO level, but I don't see why Phil couldnt mix up 28% with his setup, which is doable on the Bianca C. We actually went into decompression on the Bianca requiring a 5 minute stop at 50 ft, but we planned that, so no big deal. You get all the time back above 40 feet and we had plenty of gas.

Every island is a bit unique. I have been to Bonaire 4 times for example, but probably won't go back. Too many places on the planet to visit, and I only get one life time. Saw huge rays and eels in Grenada, far larger than Bonaire. In Nassau saw plenty of sharks. I went to Grenada primarily for the wrecks, and saw damn few of them. 3 piece wreck in in pieces on the bottom, nothing but rusty metal and barely recognizable as a ship. Next year is Belize. Never been there.

Too many places on the planet to visit, and I only get one life time.

I hear you. I struggle with the same thing, although ironically, if I continue to be blessed as I have been, my struggle is whether to try another new place (which I've enjoyed doing doing in recent years), or finally head back to Bonaire (been 8 times before). In Bonaire, I can solo with no boat, guides or other people to coordinate with...it's like I can spread my arms and dive free! As much as I love boat diving, I miss that so much.

21 Dives over 7 days is good! I'm surprised there wasn't more wreck diving, but that's just because I had this vague impression that's what Grenada is known for. IIRC, Grenada is also considered scenic topside? Wondered what you thought of the island itself.

I think you'll like Belize, but where you stay will make a big impact on what kind of experience you have.

Richard.

topside Grenada is, well, different. Left side driving with right hand steering, well, I have been there and done that. In Grenada driving laws are very much a suggestion. Drive on the left, unless you need to be on the right or the middle. Then that's OK. No Parking Zone? Well, if you need to park, no worries, do it anyways. Drunk driving laws? Nonexistant. Dont hit anyone, and no questions asked. Early July was rainy. Got rained on everyday on the boats. Cold. Very green island. Nothing like Bonaire, which reminds me of El Paso. A trip to the forts and falls is worth the drive on the last day. Again on driving, you had best be good behind a wheel. I was a cop and did several courses on pursuit driving. The training came in good in Grenada. The people are awesome, but on most islands that has been my experience. Mosquito's are abundant: be warned. I don't think I ever saw a mosquito in Bonaire. Scorpion or two, but no mosquitos. I was US military and went partially because of the "intervention" in 83. Most Grenadians seemed thankful for the intervention, so to speak. We were treated with much respect, especially when they discovered our group had military and US law enforcement in the group.

Dont hit anyone, and no questions asked.

Hah! Love it! By the way, attended a family reunion in a rural place outside of El Paso, TX many years ago, close enough to watch illegals invading the country. Seeing El Paso once was enough.

Okay, Belize. Did a cruise ship stop excursion, a boat tour up the New River for a walk in the rainforest at Lamanai, and visited 3 Mayan ruins (climbed atop 2). Very nice tour for adults; now that we've got a 4-year old, I wouldn't be climbing those ruins with her in tow. For my dive trip, did the Sun Dancer 2 (now renamed Belize Aggressor IV) - trip report.

Based on what I recall of what others have posted on Scuba Board, here's the impression I've gotten, and I'd do forum searching to turn up posts to verify it.

1.) For mainland activity plus some diving, I'd consider Placencia and book with Splash Divers.

2.) For a 'mainstream dive-focused trip' on an Americanized touristy Belize island, I'd head to Ambergris Caye.

3.) For a laid back dive-focused but not-so-touristy Belize island experience, I'd consider Caye Caulker. But I read in one thread they boat over to Ambergris Caye for diving, so boat trip might be longer.

4.) For a more expensive dive-focused land-based island dive trip, I'd be looking to hit Turneffe Atoll, but I'd expect to pay more for the privilege. Another land-based alternative out toward the better diving is called Huracan, which gets good reviews but I've read lacks air-conditioning.

5.) For the best Belize diving and a heavily dive-focused trip, I'd book a live-aboard - either the Belize Aggressor III or IV.

Now, if you can stay over a week, you could do a live-aboard, then take a few days to off-gas on the mainland. The problem with Belize is the mainland has good topside attractions, but the best diving is far from it (e.g.: Lighthouse Atoll region).

Do any other Scuba Board members have a substantially different view on Belize diving than what I laid out?

Richard.

Can you tell me if gloves are allowed to be worn on a dive in Grenada? (Not that I want to touch things, I just don't trust my wedding rings in the resort safe...)

I've never taken rings off when diving. I have a friend who is concerned about it, I think she leaves her good/real rings at home and has a cheap stand-in she wears on vacation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom