Submarine in Fort Lauderdale?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi- just wondering if anyone Can shed light on a potential submarine recently being in Ft Lauderdale. Having dived Lauderdale multiple times over the past few months and never hearing it before, over the July 7-9 weekend, we were doing beach dives and reef by boat, and I heard sonar both during day and night dives (videos captured it). Is this common? Anyone know anything about it? Just curious. Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi- just wondering if anyone Can shed light on a potential submarine recently being in Ft Lauderdale. Having dived Lauderdale multiple times over the past few months and never hearing it before, over the July 7-9 weekend, we were doing beach dives and reef by boat, and I heard sonar both during day and night dives (videos captured it). Is this common? Anyone know anything about it? Just curious. Thanks!

It is the USS Clamagore. I have been on it and it is pretty cool. To be honest i dont think it will be intact for a long time when it goes down. It is has been rusting away for years and it is full of holes. When it meets the current of the gulfstream i think it will tear it up.

Clamagore submarine move from Patriots Point to Florida hinges on vote

The USS Clamagore would be a cool and welcome addition to FL but I think Sagamartha77 was asking about an active Submarine patrolling the waters off the coast.... Didn't know you could hear Sonar pinging though!!! :thumb2:

I think Sagamartha77 was asking about an active Submarine patrolling the waters off the coast

Submarines VERY rarely use active sonar (pings) because it negates their most critical means of protection... stealth. They bristle with passive hydrophones (listening) though.

Last edited:
On the range there is no need for stealth, you can usually see them on the surface. Some of the exercises require that they use active sonar.

For the most part that is the only place they get to use active sonar, and it is hard to be proficient without practice. It's tough to sneak around when making a lot of noise.

They bristle with passive hydrophones (listening) though.

As a start.

Bob

Is sonar limited to submarines? Why couldn't it have been a surface ship?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom