Accidentally dropped my steel tank. How bad is the damage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A tank should handle tipping over with no real damage. It's not a lot of force. We store much nastier stuff than air in comparable tanks... and they're definitely meant to handle such minor events.

That 1944 tank might have some value!

Why are there two 77 stamps on that vintage cylinder?

My dive class buddy took a giant step pool entry on our first day. And promptly clipped the bottom of their tank against the edge of the pool. While we were all still cringing and waiting for the explosion, the instructor looks at me and says "Well? That's YOUR BUDDY, get in there and inspect the tank!"

Yeah, OK. Put my face up close to a tank that might be about to explode. We all learned something on that first day.(G)

Unless its an actual dent or some seriously deep corrosion pitting I don't worry.
Funny thing about steel tanks, I have seen several steel tanks used for helium (the tall ones) in rental service at various stores around here all from the same company/manufacturer and the oldest dates I have seen are from the middle of WW1 with hydro stamps every 5 years since then. I had no idea they did hydro testing every 5 years that far back. That is A LOT of stamps to see on one tank, if I see that tank again I will get a pic.
I know steel improved greatly during WW2 so its nice to see that even the older and likely more brittle steel ones hold up for such ridiculously long times with countless fill cycles and hydro test over-pressures.

My steel tanks have terrible looking bottoms on them thanks to the previous owner but are still fine. I keep the tank boots on them which he never did. Just take them off to dry after a dive and then silicone spray and stick em back on.

2 hours ago when cleaning my gear I accidentally tipped over my Faber FX100 steel tank (2 months old). How bad is the damage? I'm really worried that the 360 dollars I spent on it is all wasted. Thanks guys.View attachment 417298
No big deal as others have said. Just a little coating off.

No! No! Don't listen to these guys. Your tank is toast! Just ship it prepaid to my address and I'll dispose of it for you!!

:rofl3:

My dive class buddy took a giant step pool entry on our first day. And promptly clipped the bottom of their tank against the edge of the pool.

First thing that came to my mind was "how badly did they damage the pool?"

Witnessed a truck drive into a post at highway speeds and overturn, sent a few hundred cylinders flying. None damaged according to the chat with the fill station afterwards. Certainly didn't see any blow up or begin leaking.

I think we tend to under appreciate the over engineering and forces involved in the integrity of a cylinder.

Regards,
Cameron

Bummer, it's toast. Probably better just send it to me for proper disposal...

Back
Top Bottom