Folsom Lake dive sites?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alfredo

Contributor
Reaction score
I did a forum search on Folsom Lake and found lots to read, but I didn't see anything about favorite Folsom dive sites.

I'm a local in the Elk Grove area and would like to do more local weekend dives with my daughter. We have enjoyed diving the waters off Negro Bar. Usually fair to good vis there and a nice drift back if you swim upstream first. Easy to drop and pick-up gear at the boat ramp area. I think we will be going there tomorrow afternoon.

Anyway.. back to my topic... what are your favorite dive sites at Folsom and why?

Thanks! :D
Alan

I'm not really sure I have a favorite place to dive at Folsom. I once had a phenomenal dive at the dam overlook point. We had 20' visibility, which I haven't experienced since then. Unfortunately due to heightened security (read: they didn't want to spend the money to strengthen the dam for the 20,000+ cars per day, and used terrorism to skirt the issue), you can't get there without a boat (i.e. the thing terrorists would use to blow up the dam).

There are basically 4 locations at the lake that we dive.

1. Hobie Cat Boat Ramp at Brown's Ravine
2. To the right of the small boat ramp at Granite Bay
3. Out past the swimming beach at Granite Bay
4. Rattlesnake Bar

Hobie Cat Boat Ramp is a nice place to dive when the water is a bit higher. We've had the people at Brown's ravine kick some of our divers out of the area because they said we weren't suppose to use the boat ramp as an entrance point. Visibility is in the 2' to 10' range.

The nice thing about Hobie Cat Boat Ramp is that you're basically diving over concrete and asphalt when the water level rises, so there isn't as much of a silt out as other locations.

The two locations at Granite Bay are nice, but you get a lot of boaters that you need to look out for. Visibility is between 2' to 15' at times, but don't count on the 15' vis that often. Alhough a dive flag isn't required by California law, I strongly recommend you use one. The boaters won't have a clue as to what the dive flag is, but at least they'll be going slow when they try to steal it. (this happens more often than I'd like to admit)

Rattlesnake Bar is probably the place we dive most frequently. The visibility is in the 2' to 10' range, but often it's between 2' to 4'. Lights come in handy when trying to locate your dive buddies.

We like Rattlesnake Bar because you're able to dive in coves that are 30 ffw to 50 ffw, and since the coves are narrow, the boaters and jet skis are suppose to keep there speed at 5 mph within 200' (?) of the land. That doesn't mean they do this of course, but so far they seem to keep their distance. We dive this location usually once a week for practice and fun.

Overall Folsom is a mediocre dive site. I know of a few spots on the lake that might be cool to check out with a boat, but I probably won't boat dive at Folsom any time soon.

I can't emphasize watching for boats and other water craft enough. We really focus on surfacing at the dive float, and on the off chance we can't find it, we shoot a surface marker buoy/bag. I'm not saying that this will insure your safety, but it's worked well for us so far.

I know of a few people that dive Beales Point (sp?), but since I haven't dove that location, I'll let them tell you about their experience.

I have a few photos in the Trip Report section of our site that you might find interesting. www.sauedir.com

Hope the above helps. We're heading up to Stumpy Meadows tomorrow morning (6/20/04) at 6:30 am for a couple of quick dives.

~ Jason

Last week I freedive Dyke 8 (now called Folsom Pointe for PC reasons I think) and I had decent visibility 15' even in the really shallow stuff where people swim a lot and got into a school of bass, about 40-50 of them and they followed me around as I swam through, I also dove a small cove between this place and browns ravine, i accessed it by mountain bike since I was freediving, sure would like a buddy so i can go deeper

Justin699:
Last week I freedive Dyke 8 (now called Folsom Pointe for PC reasons I think) and I had decent visibility 15' even in the really shallow stuff where people swim a lot and got into a school of bass, about 40-50 of them and they followed me around as I swam through, I also dove a small cove between this place and browns ravine, i accessed it by mountain bike since I was freediving, sure would like a buddy so i can go deeper

The bass at Folsom are cool. They're like curious dogs that swim up to you to see what's up.

I'm doing a TDI Nitrox course this week at Dolphin, so I probably won't be able to dive this week, but I'm definitely up for diving with you sometime. I read your post on the SAUE site. We have several local divers in our group, and I'm sure if you post something in the Event section of the SAUE site, you'll easily be able to pickup a buddy or two.

~ Jason

The vis at Folsom Lake isn't great, but the water's wet and it's close to home (read: cheap). It's a good place to become more comfortable with diving, new gear, new buddy, etc. and work on navigation. My favorite spot is Folsom Point. It is fabulous at night. The fish just hover and let you get really close. During the day you don't see too many fish, but occasionally you find one who's really curious or territorial and won't back down.

Thank you all for your thoughts. I found them very usefull.

In case anyone is interested, here is a link to a map of the lake.

Map of Folsom

Wanted to check on updates to Folsom Lake. I will be in Folsom working the last week of July. Diving Tahoe on the drive down-- but try to not go more than three days with out some kind of time underwater. Dive Idaho muck holes year 'round so visibility of less than 5' not a big deal

Wow, Adventure IQ. You dug up a really old thread. I hope you find someone to dive with. At least two of us, me included, who wrote on it have moved out of the area.

I live in Sacramento, have yet to dive fresh water. Wouldnt mind checking out Folsom with someone, or even Lake Tahoe. Let me know.

I have read about some under water ruins in some of the reservoirs from towns that used to exist before the Dams were put in...Millerton Lake is the one I may have read about. Anyone dive those or know of any others? I could be convinced to drive across the central valley with dive gear for something like that...

Back
Top Bottom