Lightweight hood for scalp sun protection?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Any premade bandanas that are stitched already? Im looking for a cap as opposed to a hood.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The original
1) A large red bandana, with all four ends tied to form a scalp cap
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ or ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Purchase an Bandana some thread and a needle and sew one together.
Presto ! a custom color custom size DIY scalp cap

I am amazed at the current crop of divers who If it can't be purchased it cant be made...

I would suggest reading Dr. Billy' current offerings about the first dive at an never dove open ocean reef in SoCal called Farnsworth Banks-- Homemade equipment - dives to 240 on air

Those were truly the day of our dives -- from where it all began in SoCal
SDM

I now recognize that I am of another generation
I use or have used:

1) A large red bandana, with all four ends tied to form a scalp cap
2) A O'Neil surf cap with strap
3) A old beat up one size fits all canvass beach hat ( a Kalifornia hat)

A Canadian once told me "When you are cold fashion doesn't count "

I would modify that statement "When you are subject to a sun burned head fashion doesn't count !!!"

Sam Miller, 111
cant stand a burned scalp. I used an oneil surf cap for the same reason. looks something like this but thinner
https://www.amazon.com/NeoSport-Wet...rd_wg=FPfKm&psc=1&refRID=VVC0B634EGRJZYWWFAMR

I'm bald so this is a huge problem for me. I now wear a Buff "headband".
https://www.amazon.com/BUFF-UV-Mult...&qid=1500656702&sr=8-1&keywords=buff+headwear

I get compliments all the time from people how well it looks and that it helps them recognize me underwater. I actually have a spare in the same color :wink:

Scaps work well too (I have one) and they are warmer if you need that. If you don't need warmth, Buff is superior IMO. Watch the video on how to wear it. I wear it the way they show at 1:25.

Concur with the Buff! My son recommended it to me and it answers almost all of your needs:
1) lightweight
2) can be stylish, due to choice of patterns and general pirate look of the part that hangs in back
3) neck protection (see #2)
But it can come off if your mask strap isn't holding it in place.

Attachments

• IMG_5505.jpg
    IMG_5505.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 73
Despite rumors of their demise, it appears scuba do rag is still around: Home - Scuba Do Rag

Despite rumors of their demise, it appears scuba do rag is still around: Home - Scuba Do Rag

Demise? See Post #15 above.

I prefer the Scap because it's neoprene and has a grippy band. There, I said it again. The Scuba Do Rag and other things made out of bandanna-like materials (e.g., cotton or lycra) just tend to slip off my bald head underwater.

I use a PACE bicycling helmet liner from REI to prevent sunburn.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom