Converting a hydraulic accumulator into a filter stack.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Couv

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
My friend has acquired a piston type hydraulic accumulator to convert into a filter stack. This particular one has a different end cap setup than I'm used to seeing. Instead of end caps which screw into or onto the barrel, it has large snap rings to prevent the end caps from blowing out. Has anyone seen this type of accumulator before? Any reason to believe they are not safe?

TIA

Couv
20170719_171612.jpg
20170719_171624.jpg

Last edited:
What is the pressure rating?

What are the physical dimensions?

What is the pressure rating?
It's from an aircraft hydraulic system 3000+ psi.
What are the physical dimensions?
I don't have it in front of me but ~3 inches diameter and 24 inches in length.

Is it possible that the snap ring is there for maintenance and that the piston is limited in it's travel by something like range of available motion in it's design application.

Is it possible that the snap ring is there for maintenance and that the piston is limited in it's travel by something like range of available motion in it's design application.
No, it is has (had) a floating piston.

Years ago it was common to use these and pack your own filter media into them. All the old ones around my place have the snap ring holding the cap in. I quit using them and went to a standard filter canister with replaceable cartridges. I've cut several of the old ones down to make pen / pencil holders for my crew.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom