Bangka - recently?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

billt4sf

Contributor
Reaction score
Fayetteville GA, Wash DC, NY, Toronto, SF
# of dives
500 - 999
We were in Bangka last year and we loved the diving (except for the trash in the water) but not the facility and food so much.

We're thinking of going back there next year and I wondered if anyone had been there recently and could comment on (1) the food; and (2) whether there was 24-hour electricity. I particularly want it for the aircon at night (yes, I am one of those fussy / needy / whatever Gringos - but I know what works for me.)

Thanks,

Bill & Emily

I did a Bangka day trip from Lembeh last month and we dropped into Murex for lunch. Food was pretty average, but can't comment on the electricity situation.

I dived Bangka quite a few times last month, but I stayed next door at Gangga Island.

Food, electricity and A/C were all great!

Last time I priced it it was about USD200/pax/night for accommodation & full board. Sadly a tad beyond my budget! But it does look stunning.
Diving was around USD60/dive which is very expensive for Indo!

I have been in contact with Bangka recently and have been told that they will turn the generator on at any time if guests in their rooms want it. It would be interesting to see if anybody has stayed there recently and can confirm that this does happen.

I am surprised that there are so few resorts in Indonesia using solar power/controller/inverter-charger/battery bank.

I am surprised that there are so few resorts in Indonesia using solar power/controller/inverter-charger/battery bank.
Indah I was always puzzled by that myself, it's not like there is a lack of sunshine!
Is it a case of reliability/ lack a trained technicians/ servicing/ spare parts etc etc?

We ordered almost everything from Solar Power Indonesia. Both at Weda Resort and Divers Lodge Lembeh we have a solar power system with a battery bank 0f 12 x 2 volt @ 1000 amps (10 hours). At Rao we still use a very small and simple set, bought locally in the ordinary hardware shop.

With sun always on your head there, you don't need to worry about optimizing the solar angle. Here in USA, we need to change the angle for about twice a year.

Back
Top Bottom