Scuba kit package vs piece by piece

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

James, there is nothing wrong with a Sherwood Magnum. I own one myself among my collection of regulators. The problem is that in the older models the positive pressure was handled through a filter in the piston. This was a carry-over from the early days when they press-fitted the filter on the piston so the piston would be changed on every overhaul. If the filter gets plugged then the piston needs to be replaced, which is a problem because Sherwood doesn't make that part anymore. I had my piston replaced as did many other divers. The newer versions are better because the filter was moved to the body and can be replaced. The latest version uses a Schrader valve which is even better. So the OP needs to have some knowledge of the Sherwood line.

OK, but how does the filter get plugged if it is "positive pressure?" Even if the one-way valve failed it seems to me that water could not/would not enter if the first stage was pressurized. By "plugged" to you mean by corrosion or some foreign contaminants?

What's the rush? Why do you want to buy everything now?
Craigslist is littered with equipment that people bought for a lot of money, used twice, then consigned to the garage.
The longer you hold out, by renting gear, the more experience you will gain, the more people you will dive with and talk to, and the better you will be able to gauge your abilities, wants, and needs.
If you compromise on your equipment up front, and decide to continue diving, I can almost guarantee you that you will lose money having bought equipment that is not right for you.

OK, but how does the filter get plugged if it is "positive pressure?" Even if the one-way valve failed it seems to me that water could not/would not enter if the first stage was pressurized. By "plugged" to you mean by corrosion or some foreign contaminants?

How does it get plugged? Usually by poor servicing. If you put the piston in any type of cleaning solution it is toast. If you touch the element it is toast. If you use too much lube when rebuilding the regulator and it gets on the filter it is toast. Also bad air and letting water in when rinsing and damage to the one-way valve. Sherwood warned against all these things. There is no way to unplug the piston. People have tried.

If the filter is plugged the regulator will still function however it will not adjust properly to ambient pressure so the regulator will may be hard to breathe at depth. One poster said when his plugged the rubber seal pinched open and it breathed fine. It was just like a normal piston regulator with an open ambient chamber.

I just need the basic beginner setup and if I enjoy it as much as I expect to, then I will invest in the bells and whistles.

Ok back on topic. You certainly have a point. If it costs $40 or so to rent gear for a day then it adds up fast. If you look at it that you are avoiding rentals then you will not have buyers remorse when you move on. For regulators I would recommend this: They are rebuilt and ready to dive and you will not lose much (if anything) if you eBay them in a few years. The are equivalent to an AL Titan. For a BC I would buy used or a closeout. If used, inspect it to make sure it fine and more importantly THAT IT HOLDS AIR. If you buy off eBay, and it doesn't hold air then just sent it back. I assume you already have mask, fin, snorkel and weight belt. The computer is not really needed but if you want one I would buy new or a lightly used old one. If used, have it checked in a pressure pot before diving.

Sorry for the thread-jack, I hope this helps.

Count me in the camp of buying used versus new. I am also a BP/W user but don't believe that's the right choice for everyone and buying used in BP/W won't save you as much as buying used in jacket BC.

Here's something I wrote a while back about buying used gear:
Buying used, a discriminating shopper's primer

My dive buddy bought that package.
He doesn't complain much except he wishes he had bought a back inflate BCD.
He likes the light and has zero issues with the regs. He says with the console computer he doesn't check it as often as he thinks he should but that's probably just him.
I pieced my gear together and it was substantially more $$

Figure out if you would rather have a back inflate and a wrist computer spending some extra or if your gonna be happy with a jacket and a console.

Figure out if you would rather have a back inflate and a wrist computer spending some extra or if your gonna be happy with a jacket and a console.

He can pop the computer out or the boot and get a wrist mount. The SPG can be removed also and put into a single mount.

I bought my packaged deal from drive right in scuba. I got everything I needed for 1000.00. I am now looking into tec gear to start tec training. My question for any tec Divers that post here could one of you please tell me of a good computer for trimix nitrox and air. I am planning on tec 45 trimix and will need a computer for that. I will probably not go any further than tec 50.

Thanks
Neil.

I'd buy used. Check here in the classified section of scubaboard. You will get a great deal. That said, I'd buy HOG, Dive Rite, APEKS, Atomic, or Scubapro.

I bought my packaged deal from drive right in scuba. I got everything I needed for 1000.00. I am now looking into tec gear to start tec training. My question for any tec Divers that post here could one of you please tell me of a good computer for trimix nitrox and air. I am planning on tec 45 trimix and will need a computer for that. I will probably not go any further than tec 50.

Thanks
Neil.

You mean besides a Perdix?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom