What do you wish you could change about your (rec) wreck diving class?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

blac86

Banned
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
For people that have done a wreck diving class through any agency at the recreational level and then has gone on to dive wrecks regularly; what would you knowing what you know now have changed about your wreck class? Is there something you didn't do that you would like to have done? Is there something you did that you should not have done?

I'm interested in the replies since I'll be doing my wreck class (with limited penetration) on a Lake Michigan wreck at the end of August.

Diving outside the wreck pointing out hazards and marking distances between objects on a slate (PADI) was a bit lame I thought.

The most enjoyable and educational dives were the penetration dives and learning the proper techniques for deploying a line and swimming so as to not stir up sediment.

I recommend taking the Nitrox (enriched air) and Deep classes first so as to get the most out of the wreck class.

What finning techniques did you learn and what dives did you learn them on? How much practice did you get with them before hand?

The frog kick. It's something that you should practice before going into the wreck. I'm not great at it but have been practicing the frog kick on regular dives for about six months.

What finning techniques did you learn and what dives did you learn them on? How much practice did you get with them before hand?

You got part in that vid showing you fin techniques.

You got part in that vid showing you fin techniques.
I agree that tec finning techniques should be taught at the rec level, thanks for the video but I'm pretty good at frog kicks and helicopter turns :). I was more asking what Bert learned in his class.

The frog kick. It's something that you should practice before going into the wreck. I'm not great at it but have been practicing the frog kick on regular dives for about six months.

Did you practice it six months before your wreck class? I'm interested in how much time you had to work on it before you did your limited penetration dive specifically.

My ulterior motive in this thread is to make a more enjoyable, memorable and comprehensive wreck class for my students :)

Did you practice it six months before your wreck class? I'm interested in how much time you had to work on it before you did your limited penetration dive specifically.

My ulterior motive in this thread is to make a more enjoyable, memorable and comprehensive wreck class for my students :)

I practiced the frog kick off and on for several months before the wreck class but my wreck class took four months to complete (don't ask why) so had time on other dives between the wreck dives. I find the bent knees to be an "unnatural" position for me, probably because I've been diving for so many years using only the flutter kick.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom