Trip Report Trip report - solo traveller

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JDelage

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was in Bonaire for 1 week, ending July 23. Here are some quick notes:

Hamlet Oasis:
The resort is convenient and is located close to Buddy’s & Captain Don’s. There’s a drive through Dive Friends place in situ, so getting tanks couldn’t be easier. I was in a 1BR apartment (which is really 2/3 of the 2BR bungalow). It’s spacious, has a huge covered porch with a large dining room table. Inside, there’s a living room / dining room, a bedroom with a perfectly nice bathroom, and a large kitchenette / smallish kitchen. The resort has a pool that looks actually deep enough to be considered a pool rather than a bath tub (but I never felt the need to set foot in it). Also, it’s close to downtown, which is a valuable feature for someone new to Bonaire. The only drawbacks at this place are the very dim lightbulbs which make it nearly impossible to read anything unless in bed or directly under the floor lamp. In addition, there are no power outlet anywhere close to the DR table, which means I had to use the living room side table when plugged in. There are better deals to be had on AirBnB, but not on the water. I would recommend them for a first time in Bonaire or people who absolutely want a house reef. The pricing is lower than Buddy or Don’s and the convenience of the in-situ Dive Friends op is superior to a single-location tank swap station, IMHO.

Dive Friends:
I have been happy with Dive Friends. The convenience of picking up tanks in any of a half-dozen location and drop them off at another location cannot be overstated. I dove nitrox, and their tanks were well filled at a consistent 31%-to-32% ratio. (Did some dives with people diving with VIP who found out at one site that their delivered tank was empty…) I did a 2-tank boat sortie in Klein Bonaire, which was fine but the dives had nothing more than what you get in Bonaire. (Also, the DF boat was not super well ventilated and we were breathing some fumes on the way back.) Also did a guided night dive with DF at Yellow Submarine, which was fine - we saw some tarpons, which are always cool. My take away: get the unlimited air package, and keep the rest of your money for dives on the East side, or a course. Renting a pony tank proved difficult. They definitely asked whether I was ‘self reliant’ certified and whether I planed on diving solo. In fact they refused to have the pony sent to the Hamlet Oasis location for me. I had had several email exchanges with them about the pony, so eventually I was able to get it nonetheless. (I ended up only using it once so I returned it quickly.) I would use them again.

AB Car rental:
Very convenient and fairly priced. They picked me up at the airport and dropped me off at the end of my stay. The truck was a low quality Chinese brand but everything worked and it was fairly new (<9,000km on the odo). The full coverage is only $8 more per day so it’s an easy decision. I would use them again.

Traveling solo:
I had no specific difficulties with travelling solo. It’s easy to meet people at dive sites and tag along. I met 3 different groups with whom I ended up doing multiple dives. You need to be smart about your first site picks (start the day at popular sites, go to the Hilma Hooker earlier rather than later in the day, etc), but apart from that it’s easy. I did couple solo dives where I stayed very shallow (<15m). The DF locations all have a "seeking buddy" board where you can leave a phone number, but I didn't use them (I left my ### but I didn't do the work of texting the numbers that were there.)

Others:
The main difficulty was to orient myself when driving. The free maps are just OK and the roads are often not named at intersections. After a few days I started recognizing key roundabouts, etc, but the driving around remained a challenge throughout the stay. I found the restaurant food to be universally mediocre (but never bad). However, the food prices were not too bad. The best food I had was some barracuda at Mona Lisa, and the ice cream at the ice cream & coffee place on the water downtown is good.

Did you have any favorite dive sites (definitely would do again) and how often did you end up diving the house reef "Cliff" from Hamlet Oasis and how did you like it?

If there's a drawback to Bonaire it's that there's not a lot of variety. All the sites have a superbly healthy reef with rich life, but the variations from site to site are fairly small. Some reefs have more hard or soft corral, etc.

With this said, I think the Hilma Hooker is a world-class wreck. It's reasonably shallow (although it's the deepest dive I did while there), the boat is positioned very cleanly on it's side, it's easily accessed, the features are recognizable, and the water is super clear. It was my favorite site.

The Salt Pier is another unconventional dive site, which I ended up doing 3 times, including one time at night. I think I'm done with it for now though... :)

My favorite "regular" site was 1000 Steps, because I saw more critters there than anywhere else. Also, there's a stag horn corral "forrest" which I've not seen anywhere else.

I didn't dive the East side last week and I regret not organizing for that.

I read your report with interest, as I recently returned from a solo trip to Bonaire, where I did not dive solo (see my trip report). I do not yet have enough experience for a solo certification but hope to obtain one when I do. It sounds like you have a solo certification but only did a few solo dives. What were your reasons for choosing to wait around for buddies, even when you could have dove solo? Was it for conservative safety reasons or other reasons?

How long did you usually have to wait around at the dive sites to find a group to join? Were there many numbers on the Dive Friends buddy board, or just a few? I might return to Bonaire before I am ready for a solo certification and might want to use those methods to find buddies.

Glad to see the info. on Hamlet Oasis; it's one of the 'known' places to stay, but I don't see all that many reports on it. It often seems like Buddy Dive Resort, Sand Dollar Condo.s and Divi Flamingo take the lion's share of 'home base' coverage.

My last Bonaire trip a few years back, I dove solo and asked (Buddy Dive Resort) for a 30 cf pony; what I got was a 1/2 filled 40 cf pony with a staff member's name on it. Did okay, but I hope to use a Spare Air 3.0 in the future (Warning: mention may trigger a tangent about how that's not enough gas except for very shallow diving...). My SA 3 packs nicely and I can avoid having to ask for a pony.

Wonder why it was a hassle for you to rent a pony?

Okay, now for the big question. We know you have a choice when you dive, judging from your profile info. you're still fairly new to the Caribbean region, and there are many places you could pick for your next, oh, say, 3 to 5 trips? So, how likely are you to go back to Bonaire soon?

Richard.

The east side is definitely worth visiting. We only had one day over there, but they were some of the most memorable dives in a week of great dives.

I read your report with interest, as I recently returned from a solo trip to Bonaire, where I did not dive solo (see my trip report). I do not yet have enough experience for a solo certification but hope to obtain one when I do. It sounds like you have a solo certification but only did a few solo dives. What were your reasons for choosing to wait around for buddies, even when you could have dove solo? Was it for conservative safety reasons or other reasons?

I don't have a solo certification. I've been diving for 30 years and I feel confident diving solo if I have to, but I either carry a pony or / and dive shallow, both of which are impositions and constraints on a dive. I did it 3 times during my trip. I found that the 'cost' to find a buddy on Bonaire is less than that of diving solo. I feel more relaxed when diving with someone else and I enjoy chatting about the dive afterwards. Also, all the people I met in Bonaire were friendly and welcoming, as well as reasonably experienced divers. If the people I met had been much different I might have done more solo dives. I found it absurdly easy to find willing partners in Bonaire. The sites are close to each others and given the 1hr surface interval you generally find someone in time. Of course, I had to be flexible. If a group I just dove with invited me to join them on their next dive (which they all did), I had to agree to dive their selection. It's no big deal in Bonaire where sites were all new to me and are fairly interchangeable anyways.

My SA 3 packs nicely and I can avoid having to ask for a pony.

Or you could choose to pack 2 suitcases. That might be cost effective ($25 each trip for 2nd bag?) I've wondered about that, but not looked at the details.

Wonder why it was a hassle for you to rent a pony?

Because they clearly only wanted to rent to people who are certified self reliant / solo, which I am not. They asked specifically if I intended to dive solo, and I didn't feel comfortable lying to their face (so I said I wanted the pony in case I couldn't find a buddy which was true but ambiguous). I had exchanged several emails with the DF operation before hand and on the strength of those emails assuring me that renting a pony would be no problem I was able to secure it. Honestly I understand the dive op's point of view. I feel no hostility towards them but wanted to share with people here that a solo traveler can't assume that 'don't ask, don't tell' will be the norm.

Okay, now for the big question. We know you have a choice when you dive, judging from your profile info. you're still fairly new to the Caribbean region, and there are many places you could pick for your next, oh, say, 3 to 5 trips? So, how likely are you to go back to Bonaire soon?

I'd go back with friends / family, and do 3-4 dives a day and save some time to talk to other people, cook delicious food, etc. I probably wouldn't go back solo. Quite simply, I think the value of Bonaire-when-solo is not competitive with a liveaboard if one can find a promotion (more relevant to people who have some flexibility on dates / destinations). A liveaboard offers better potential for diverse dives and more volume. When organizing this trip I had hesitated between Bonaire and the Turk & Caicos liveaboard and maybe I would have gotten more out of the liveaboard.

Bonaire is often referred to as a 'land-based live-aboard,' but it's a different experience. Both offer the option for close to or well over 20 dives in a week.

Live-aboard divers enjoy very easy diving (no tank swapping all week), the boat moves so no driving, basically eat, sleep, lounge around napping or chatting, and dive 4-5x's/day. You get dive briefings and a good range of diverse dive sites on at least some. Some live-aboards forbid solo diving, some allow it with conditions, & some (hello, California) don't dictate to you about it.

Bonaire, if you do the stereotypical rental truck roam amongst varied shore sites, involves loading your gear & tanks in the back, driving around and picking a site, gearing up on the tail gate, walking in (& later back out) over iron shore or pieces of coral rubble debris, you swap a tank every dive, you can eat in or out, and in a nutshell, it's more work.

For that work, you can dive anytime, most anywhere, planned or spontaneous, 'dive your tank' with no thought to when a boat might need to move to keep on schedule, nobody monitors whether you're solo or under what conditions, and you pick your sites. Usually don't need a guide. You can prolong dives by roaming over rubble in the shallows (nice perk for air hogs).

A live-aboard trip is easier, less complicated, and a built-in all-inclusive that helps settle total trip price easily.

Bonaire can be or is very independent, with some variety for those who wish it (e.g.: island somewhat scenic, donkey sanctuary, wind surfing, etc...).

From what others told me of live-aboard T&C diving, I think you'd have seen a lot of sharks (vs. usually none on Bonaire) & stingrays, and your dive profiles would've averaged a good deal deeper. A link may be of interest -
Picking a Caribbean Live-aboard - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/li...ats/495738-picking-caribbean-live-aboard.html

Richard.

P.S.: My comments on live-aboard are regarding mainstream mid-priced & up Caribbean boats like Belize Aggressor IV and Cayman Aggressor IV.

Back
Top Bottom