Past NDL. And then this???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I thought he got that on page 1. But, now it's on page 16....and the beating continuous.
Seems more like a normal SB thread where we go off on several interesting tangents at the same time.

Have we circled back to beating up the OP?

Seems more like a normal SB thread where we go off on several interesting tangents at the same time.

Have we circled back to beating up the OP?

I'm not referring to your post specifically. I'm referring to the slow ascent when you have deco obligation being bad deal. I think we beat the dead horse too much already.

I'm not referring to your post specifically. I'm referring to the slow ascent when you have deco obligation being bad deal. I think we beat the dead horse too much already.
Agreed - so get with the program and pick up one of the tangent topics and carry on...Some of us need more free entertainment...

Pumping dive data incoherently into Subsurface and 'marvelling' at the varied outcomes isn't a particularly good education without having some context on why different algorithms create different results.

In the case of this thread, the obvious learning advantage would come from doing a little research and reading on the RGBM algorithm.

RGBM isnt an open source algorithm (like Buhlmann or VPM) but there's still a plethora of online resources and articles describing it.

What I'd suggest, in respect of learning benefit, is to RESEARCH and READ before trying to EXPERIMENT.

Please let me know what part of my previous reading material was deficient.

Agreed - so get with the program and pick up one of the tangent topics and carry on...Some of us need more free entertainment...

:D

Got to admit, I do learnt quite a bit from reading those tangent topics. I never paid attention to my dive computer, profiles, all kinds of algorithms, tweaking the setting, etc. I just look at my dive computer and SPG every so often and follow the instruction on the display. If the computer is happy, plenty of gas shown in SPG, I'm not feeling fatique, all is well. Then I'll get ready to plunge in on the next dive when the pool is open.

Yeah, well....... :/

Let me guess.... Suunto? LMFAO
Likely not, a Zoop manual is all matter of fact about deco, no dire warnings....

I was in Shetland recently diving a variety of stuff down to the Glen Isla at 44m. I had shearwaters set to 45/85 and 90/90, one buddy with a shearwater at 45/80 and one with a Helo2. They all cleared within 5 minutes of each other after an hour long dive with about 25 minutes of ascent.

A single gas deco dive on a Zoop is just like a similar dive on a Helo2. At the same conservatism you will get out of the water at the same time. The only difference is the deep stops (which can be ignored) the Helo2 will introduce. I used a Zoop as a backup to a Helo2 for a long time.

What would a 'recreational' only dive computer do differently to a 'proper' one in terms of deco? refuse to get wet for 24 hours after a deco dive? Do any do that?

Ladies and gentlemen,

The horse (OP) is not dead as yet and ready to be beaten AGAIN (maybe I’ve started enjoying it).

I did look at all “official” resources I have about emergency decompression procedures (as PADI calls them).
Here is the list with a brief description of the procedure on each:
- PADI OW manual: If a computer is used, follow the computer. If a table was used follow the procedure described in the table.
- The PADI OW tables: If NDL elapsed by up to 5 mins, 5 minutes deco stop at 3-5 meters, if NDL elapsed by more than 5 mins then 15 mins deco at 3-5 meters (no word on calling the dive or min rate of ascent).
- My Computer’s manual: it only describes what is shown in the screen. Not what/how to do. Yes there is a TOTAL time (including ascent time) but that is an “indication” as clearly stated. Neither a requirement nor even a suggestion!

My question: based on the above, how am I (or any other newbie diver) supposed to know that once in emergency deco, I should ascent ASAP to deco?? Is it just too obvious to everybody else but not me? In that case please beat me, hard!

Through the discussion, and thank you all for this, it is now clear. But how the heck was I supposed to know that before the incident? Since it is so vital, shouldn’t it be mentioned clearly in the manuals? Eg In case of emergency deco, call the dive and ascent as soon as possible (<10m/min) to the first deco stop following your computer’s instructions.

Please hold on beating for a sec – I promise you (I) will get more soon.

Now something else, very important for fellow newbie divers with Leonardo (and maybe other Cressi computers) to observe!

As discussed in another post my computer has an ascent rate indicator. Up to 3 arrows are displayed: one arrow for 4-8m/min ascents, 2 arrows for 8-12m/min and 3 arrows with a beep alarm for >12m/min. So far, so good. The problem arises when the dive is imported to Subsurface. Cressi records all of these as “type=3” events, i.e. warnings. Hence all these ascents (1, 2 or 3 arrows) are marked as warnings (yellow triangles) in Subsurface! Yes an ascent rate of let’s say 4m/min is reported as a Warning in Subsurface!

Prepare your canes – beating time approaching.
Believe it or not, silly me, all this time, this has led me to assume that even a single arrow ascent (4-8m/min!) is to be avoided.
Beating can now start again.

All I hope is that this post to reach as many (idiot?) newbie divers as possible to avoid all these silly mistakes.

Thanks once more...

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom