St. Lawrence River - The Robert Gaskin Wreck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Went to the St. Clair River this past weekend. It was my first time. So I had nothing to compare to but if felt different than what I was told to expect. On the last dive of the weekend we met some locals who had over 400 dives in the St. Clair. He said he had a nice, easy dive for us to do by starting from the lighthouse.

We all got split up. The current was ripping. I got sucked into the middle of the river and had to fight not to go to the America side. The locals got sucked to the American side. Had to go way down river before I could actually get out of the current and over to the Canadian side.

The locals said this was like no other dive they did before. They got sucked into places they had never been before.

Diving in the great lakes area is definitely different his summer.

I'm hoping things slow down by the long weekend. We plan on renting boats and diving the area all weekend (10+ dives).

Darrell

Went to the St. Clair River this past weekend. It was my first time. So I had nothing to compare to but if felt different than what I was told to expect. On the last dive of the weekend we met some locals who had over 400 dives in the St. Clair. He said he had a nice, easy dive for us to do by starting from the lighthouse.

We all got split up. The current was ripping. I got sucked into the middle of the river and had to fight not to go to the America side. The locals got sucked to the American side. Had to go way down river before I could actually get out of the current and over to the Canadian side.

The locals said this was like no other dive they did before. They got sucked into places they had never been before.

Diving in the great lakes area is definitely different his summer.

I'm hoping things slow down by the long weekend. We plan on renting boats and diving the area all weekend (10+ dives).

Darrell

Glad to hear your safe. Conditions are more arduous this year. Reports on the Keystorm wreck having unusually strong currents on it. My recent dive on Lake Ontario was cancelled due to rough conditions. Even the fishing charters were not going out that day. They say conditions should improve this fall.

I was diving in the vicinity of the Gaskin on Sunday. Current is slightly higher than normal but much less than earlier in the year.

Helen Cooper from Abucs Charters was reporting similar experiences. Hope this is a trend for the better.

the winds dictate everything right now. High water, when pushed really becomes a mess...

the winds dictate everything right now. High water, when pushed really becomes a mess...

I thought it was the increase flow out of the lake. Like I said in message #14, they have increased output at the locks by 1,200 cubic metres per second. Not sure if it is this, the wind or both.

I guess if it is high water levels then draining the lake faster will help. But if it is the high current then decreasing the draining might help.

Regardless, it seems a little messed up right now. I was told we aren't sure if we'll be able to dock near Abucs and have our tanks filled. Helen is working with our boat captain to come up with a plan. Right now the docks we were going to use are underwater. :(

Darrell

The Buffalo news had a little discussion today that the levels had dropped (though it is very little), the discharge rate is the highest they can sustain it at and not cause flooding in Montreal, but the runoff rate entering the Lake basin is higher than the exit rate... I was in Sodus Bay last weekend, and all I can say is that it is a complete disaster. My in-law's house is from the late 1800's, and is constructed on driven piles. There is water under the house.... Others with full foundations are not so lucky. The storm system is surcharged, and they are re-circulating it into the bay with pumps to keep from having it flow into the sanitary sewer through the manholes. No relief anywhere in sight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom