Past NDL. And then this???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wouldn't say sophisticated or technical but they are running straight buhlman and that shouldn't result in ludicrous deco times however blowing those off could get you hurt too. That was my first computer and I still use it occasionally to the dismay of my dive buddies (too many audible alarms) I can also clear deco with a reasonable ascent profile and have yet to get out of the water with less than 30min NDL remaining even after being "in deco" at 110'
30 minutes at what depth?

30 minutes at what depth?
30mins remaining at the surface when at 110' I was in deco with a 15min obligation. By the time I made my way to 20' for a safety stop after 5 minutes of drifting it said I had 30min NDL remaining.

30mins remaining at the surface when at 110' I was in deco with a 15min obligation. By the time I made my way to 20' for a safety stop after 5 minutes of drifting it said I had 30min NDL remaining.
Logically, what is your NDL at 20 feet? You could stay there for the next 2 days and still be within your NDL.

Logically, what is your NDL at 20 feet? You could stay there for the next 2 days and still be within your NDL.
True story and the number was going up. I'm sure it would have made its way all the way back to 99 but since NDL remaining is the solution to a math problem I imagine it had to start at 0 once I met my deco obligation and climb back up. All I noticed was that I had 30mins remaining after a deco obligation. That was enough to stick in my head even 10 years later.

I had never got out of the water unless my Uwatec Aladin showed 99.

Hi joe10540, did the computer penalize you on your next dive ie. given shorter ndl?

I had never got out of the water unless my Uwatec Aladin showed 99.

Hi joe10540, did the computer penalize you on your next dive ie. given shorter ndl?
Well, it depends on how soon the next dive is...

Even if the NDL reads 99 you will get shorter NDLs on subsequent dives unless you wait long enough to fully off gas. After each dive the surface mode provides 2 pieces of info: time to fly and time to desaturation. If you have a non zero desaturation time, the computer believes you still have tissue loading and will give you shorter NDLs.

Reactions: Dan
Iirc, DAN sponsored research that showed 60 ft per minute was the optimal rate in NDL diving. I stick to 30 ft per minute, but I don't think that is what research showed was the best, but it isn't bad.
By sheer coincidence, I have been conducting a discussion with DAN about this. Here is the latest from them on the topic:
Alert Diver | Ascent Rates

It does not clearly pick a best between 30 and 60 FPM, but the full discussion seems to favor 30 pretty strongly. My quibble with this article is that while the wording STATES that the slower OF THOSE TWO is better, it IMPLIES that slower is always better, with no bottom to the options. It talks at length about the danger of going too fast without mentioning the danger of going too slow.

BTW, the impetus for our discussion was this thread. I am pretty sure that the consensus here is that the OP ascended much too slowly, and his apparent motivation for ascending so slowly was a mistaken belief that when dealing with emergency decompression, the slowest possible ascent is best.

True story and the number was going up. I'm sure it would have made its way all the way back to 99 but since NDL remaining is the solution to a math problem I imagine it had to start at 0 once I met my deco obligation and climb back up. All I noticed was that I had 30mins remaining after a deco obligation. That was enough to stick in my head even 10 years later.
Not being in decompression and being shallow my Oceanics will give around 9 hours NDL. I always wonder if they would put me in deco after that.

Cressi, Leonardo underwater dive computer. When I use it, the bottom time was so short for the second dive and 4th dive, I would following the NDL time up. I would have to go to 19 feet before it would not put me in deco. At 20 feet it will continue to reduce the time to deco, move up to 19 feet and you would have 99 minutes (max display reading). when you give it a 2 hour or more surface interval it is more like other computer.
If you look at some of the latest dive tables you can not stay at 20 feet forever any more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom