AKR and CocoView together

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What do you hate about AKR ? I have seen many negative reviews. I don't care about the food or the quality of the room. Is there an issue with the dive operation?

I didn't "hate" AKR by any means. AKR was fine. "Fine" meaning it met my expectations for a mid-range dive resort. I suspect that if I had gone with a group, as in the recent Scubaboard Invasion, that would probably have addressed some of my (admittedly minor) complaints about the group I had to dive with. From what I have read on SB, I get the impression CocoView would have suited me better, that's all. Again, nothing against AKR--it is adequate.

My review is here: Anthony's Key Resort (AKR) trip report - November 2013

If room and food are of no consequence to you, then why not stay at a guest house or something of that sort and dive with a dive op of your choice in West End? I mean, why bother with a resort? I did just that on a previous trip, and I think I enjoyed diving with West End Divers more than I did with AKR. It seemed more personalized--less perfunctory. It can even be a cheaper way to go than AKR, too. Resorts are the answer for people to whom the room, food, amenities, etc.--and not having to plan anything--are important considerations. My advice would be to go to AKR or another such resort if the idea of a "resort" carries some weight in your decision. Otherwise, why not just book diving and lodging separately? Eat when and where you want. West End is a cool place. Resorts--at least AKR--are isolated. Schedule dives for when you want, etc., rather than paying for a week package at a resort. Just something to consider.

It might be a little easier/cheaper to fly to Grand Cayman because there are a lot more flights to GC than Roatan, and Cayman Air is now offering flights to Roatan. If the air works, you could spend a week on GC and then fly to Roatan for a week at AKR for about the same amount (I think) as CCV and AKR.

Cayman is an expensive destination but there are some cheaper options for divers. The Cobalt Coast resort is an "off the beaten path" all-inclusive dive resort on Grand Cayman and the package includes all meals, 2 boat dives per day, unlimited shore dives on the house reef, transfers, hotel taxes and service charges. Basically it covers everything except the dive shop tips, but there is an extra charge for Nitrox, see the link below.

The package prices for Cocoview are very similar to Cobalt Coast but when making a comparison pay attention to what's included in the listed rates. Cocoview's rates do NOT include the 19% Honduran tax while the Cobalt Coast rates DO include the 13% Cayman tax. I don't know if there is an extra charge for Nitrox at CocoView.

Below is a thread comparing the 2 resorts.

http://www.cobaltcoast.com/

https://www.scubaboard.com/community/threads/is-it-possible-to-dive-grand-cayman-on-a-budget.534434/

Yes, Nitrox is an additional cost at CCW $120.00pp weekly unlimited number of tanks.
edit: AKR is the same just checked.

You guys and gals are all awesome. Thank you for the advice and the links. I'm looking at it all now. So generous of you all to take the time to help me make the best decision. I really do appreciate it :)

I didn't "hate" AKR by any means. AKR was fine. "Fine" meaning it met my expectations for a mid-range dive resort. I suspect that if I had gone with a group, as in the recent Scubaboard Invasion, that would probably have addressed some of my (admittedly minor) complaints about the group I had to dive with. From what I have read on SB, I get the impression CocoView would have suited me better, that's all. Again, nothing against AKR--it is adequate.

My review is here: Anthony's Key Resort (AKR) trip report - November 2013

If room and food are of no consequence to you, then why not stay at a guest house or something of that sort and dive with a dive op of your choice in West End? I mean, why bother with a resort? I did just that on a previous trip, and I think I enjoyed diving with West End Divers more than I did with AKR. It seemed more personalized--less perfunctory. It can even be a cheaper way to go than AKR, too. Resorts are the answer for people to whom the room, food, amenities, etc.--and not having to plan anything--are important considerations. My advice would be to go to AKR or another such resort if the idea of a "resort" carries some weight in your decision. Otherwise, why not just book diving and lodging separately? Eat when and where you want. West End is a cool place. Resorts--at least AKR--are isolated. Schedule dives for when you want, etc., rather than paying for a week package at a resort. Just something to consider.
I just read it. What a terrible experienced. I've gone off on other divers topside when I've seen behavior like this. Our tolerance is low for this sort of thing because we are technical divers and not PADI associated. So you know how that goes I'm sure :)
I just emailed the lady who responded to me yesterday and asked if they still put inexperienced PADI OW divers on the same boat as advanced experience divers. I also asked her about these "guided" dives. Can we just do our own profile and meet at the boat? That's how we do it everywhere else. Once the first dive is done the DM always tell us to just go off and do our own thing.
If we can't dive for 1 full hour then all bets are off. I like your idea of looking at separate accommodations and booking with a dive shop. I need to see if there are any that might be more friendly to tech divers and or even just more accommodating. Thank you for the review. It was very helpful.

If room and food are of no consequence to you, then why not stay at a guest house or something of that sort and dive with a dive op of your choice in West End? I mean, why bother with a resort? ..... Schedule dives for when you want, etc., rather than paying for a week package at a resort. Just something to consider.

If you really want 4 a day, much less the 5/day you can get at CCV, well, that would be why.

CCV may sound expensive until you do all the arithmetic. Any schedule beyond 2/day at a guest house, if you go to 3/day, an AI such as CCV makes mathematical sense.

The counter argument that you'll be "missing the island vibe" by going to CCV or AKR ? That's simply code for loss of packed bar time with blaring music. Roatan has no discernible island culture that isn't manufactured for the cruise ship crowd.

I can drink back home in Chicago.... diving? Not so much.

Get what you really want out of your travel plans. This is ScubaBoard, there is also Trip Advisor.

I'm getting my weekly 27.

You do know that Anthony's Key only does 3 scheduled dives/day and the only shore dive nearby is theirs right?
Three Single Tank Boat Dives per day, Air Ranks, Weight Belts & Weights, Admission to the Roatan Museum, and use of Kayaks and Stand-Up Paddleboards. When you stay with us for a week on our 7-night package you'll also receive: Two Single Tank Boat Night Dives per week, a Buoyancy Control Workshop, Shore Diving During Shop Hours;
I'm pretty sure the shop is 8-5 so ask to have tanks set out if you plan to do later dives.

Last edited:
AKR: 3 boat dives per day, 2 night boat dives per week, shore diving during shop hours ($1629+tax for two in a room with AC)

CCV: 2 boat dives per day, shore diving 24/7 ($2828+tax for two in a room with AC)

Those additional off hours dives in the CCV front porch costs $1,199 more per couple and you are getting fewer boat dives.

I'm nixing the whole idea of a dive resort on Roatan. My tech buddies just reminded me about Coconut Tree Divers. They have inexpensive accommodations and a diving procedure that suits our needs. Plus we have a connection for technical diving there. Even having to cook our own food or going to cheap restaurants, it's still a better option for us. We won't have pick up and move after a week, and it's a LOT cheaper than 2 weeks at Cocoview (even factoring in food).

I'm also looking at Grand Cayman. Found a place with 2 tank dives and unlimited shore diving for the same price as Roatan. NO guided dives! Which is worth paying extra to me. Might be a little more with food costs but the travel time is half the hours.

So I'm done looking at the AKR and Cocoview. The more I read about them the less I think I'd appreciate the type of recreational dives offered. Thanks again everyone. Especially those of you gave the idea to look elsewhere.

AKR: 3 boat dives per day, 2 night boat dives per week, shore diving during shop hours ($1629+tax for two in a room with AC)

CCV: 2 boat dives per day, shore diving 24/7 ($2828+tax for two in a room with AC)

Those additional off hours dives in the CCV front porch costs $1,199 more per couple and you are getting fewer boat dives.

Wow! That's a surprise to me. These 2 resorts often get compared side-by-side but if the price difference quoted is legit (i.e. comparable room category in addition to AC), that would be enough to steer many to AKR...the difference is not insignificant.

Back
Top Bottom