regulator cannot be in carry-on baggage in Fiji

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I flew Fiji airlines a few years ago and carried regs on with no problem. That being said, take Hoag's advise and write the airline.

Airlines has nothing to do with security check!
Highly unlikely that the regs will be confiscated but you will have to go back to the check in counter and have the offended item check in "properly". Happened to me once, not in Fiji, when the security at Manila airport said the cord of my canister light was "dangerous" to be allowed as hand carry.........
1st stage is definitely not a good idea to bring on board as hand carry. 2nd stage should be fine without the hose.

There's nothing wrong with asking about peoples personal experiences with various airlines and airports. Why mock people for it? I think it's a good idea to do this as well as checking into whatever is "official." Anyone who travels much learns what it says on paper may have little to do one way or another with how things work in reality. Different airline and airport agents will not always have the same interpretation of what the rules say. Other factors also affect what actually happens - especially the more, um, "exotic" your travel gets.

The trick with getting all these different opinions is, maybe the best case will be true when you travel, or maybe it will be the worst case. If you pack for the best case and get the worst case that can be a problem. It's even more fun when different legs of your itinerary have different and conflicting rules.

The Philippines maybe a few years ago started saying you couldn't have regs in carry-on. So that's not unheard of. Given the stricter size and weight restrictions for carry-on with many non-US carriers, checking these often works better anyway once you're out of the US/Caribbean/major carrier orbit.

Flew with Fiji air as a Qantas passenger a little over a year ago, carried my regs in hand luggage no problem. I don't imagine it is anything to do with the airline, they do not check the contents of your hand luggage. They may weigh it, but thats all! My experience was all good.

Happened to me once, not in Fiji, when the security at Manila airport said the cord of my canister light was "dangerous" to be allowed as hand carry....

. . . The Philippines maybe a few years ago started saying you couldn't have regs in carry-on. So that's not unheard of. . .

Considering the number of threads in which people have discussed ingenious ways of squeezing everything in a carry-on to avoid checking a bag, this is really interesting news to me.

Airlines...
I would also think their policy does not matter... but airlines are strange that way (sort of like you can bring a free 50 lbs bag but if they know there is a folding bike in it some may ask $100 or whatnot each way... but if it's a hunking big golf bag then it's OK with some... or ski equipment ...- it's just weird at times )

Since you write "carrying on sports equipment" is the rule violation, ...maybe it is not sports equipment but live support equipment, necessary for breathing where you go?
Who says you are a sports diver, you just relax under water... :)
Now your fins, those might have to be called sports equipment... :)
Better not wear sneakers either... :)

My wife and I flew to Fiji last year (on Fiji Airways) and had no problem with carrying on our regs. No one from the airline gave our carry-ons a second thought.

Thanks all for your replies, even the ones that were less than congenial. The issue with contacting the airline is that they really don't decide what items are carried onto the plane. As one poster said, "Since it's hand luggage, the airline will not get to check its contents - the airport security officers will. Now, the security officers can not possibly know each airline's individual policy on hand luggage allowance" I knew this when I wrote the post but I did not know how to contact Fiji security. That is why I noted in my comment that experience would trump what the airline says, At least that was my logic and, I am sure some may find that logic flawed. I also contacted the resort booking office in the USA about this issue to see if they knew of any issues, they contacted Fiji Airways office in LA and received this answer:

Bula,

I have a feeling that Reservations agent did not know what a regulator is. I googled this and travelers may bring regulators, buoyancy compensators and masks, snorkels and fins as carry-on or checked baggage. Scuba bags will be scanned and probably hand searched by TSA officials. Do not pack anything suspicious.

So now I have two opposing opinions, however, the last appears to have some additional information that the first agent did not have. That said, as has been mentioned the risk is all mine, and I will decide what I think is the best course of action to follow. Again, thanks for all your input.

As a final closure to this thread, I did travel with my regulator in my carry on and had no problems. In fact, Fiji is a dive friendly destination. Fiji airways offers a special dive pack baggage price for divers. You get one free checked bag, if your check a second bag it costs $150, however if you arrange for a dive pack with the airline with your ticket, and your dive gear bag is your second bag, they reduce the price for your gear bag to $50. So, no worries about traveling with your regulator in your carry on bag.

As a final closure to this thread, I did travel with my regulator in my carry on and had no problems. In fact, Fiji is a dive friendly destination. Fiji airways offers a special dive pack baggage price for divers. You get one free checked bag, if your check a second bag it costs $150, however if you arrange for a dive pack with the airline with your ticket, and your dive gear bag is your second bag, they reduce the price for your gear bag to $50. So, no worries about traveling with your regulator in your carry on bag.
That is great to hear. How was your trip?

Back
Top Bottom