regulator cannot be in carry-on baggage in Fiji

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It was terrific. This was my third trip to Fiji, my bucket list included seeing a tiger shark. I went on 3 shark dives during my previous visits but never saw the tiger. This time we saw several tigers! This trip I booked 3 shark dives for the 10 days we were there to maximize the possibility of seeing a tiger. I told the manager of the resort that once I saw the tiger, I would cancel the other shark dives. However, when a 15 foot tiger showed up on our first dive and wanted to personally say hello to every diver in our group, I just had to go back! I actually did 4 shark dives and saw up to 3 tigers on each dive. It was amazing. The tigers came in so close, that divers in the group had to push them away. Of course we also so some amazing reefs with lots of beautiful fish as well. I can cross that item off my bucket list now.

I know I'm late to the party but we flew Fiji Airlines and had regs in our bags and had no problems going or coming back. However, what was a surprise to many was how strictly FA enforced their carry-on policy. It had to fit in the metal holder found at the counter in all directions. So if it had wheels, the wheel end had to fit in first. A whole bunch of folks had to check their carry-on. They were not charged but just weren't prepared for that.

The word was the new management had decided to strictly enforce that policy. If that is still the case, it would pay to get a duffle style carry-on. I did and had no problem.

Fiji airways offers a special dive pack baggage price for divers. You get one free checked bag, if your check a second bag it costs $150, however if you arrange for a dive pack with the airline with your ticket, and your dive gear bag is your second bag, they reduce the price for your gear bag to $50.

Good to know! Will definitely look into this for our next visit.

Our experience flying through Fiji was very negative to the point where my wife and I will simply no longer consider flying with or through that country again.

Our experience flying through Fiji was very negative to the point where my wife and I will simply no longer consider flying with or through that country again.
Can you provide some details?

In our travels we have discovered that many places fall short of our expectations. But since we do not know your expectations, it would be very helpful to understand what exactly sucked.

There's nothing wrong with asking about peoples personal experiences with various airlines and airports. Why mock people for it? I think it's a good idea to do this as well as checking into whatever is "official." Anyone who travels much learns what it says on paper may have little to do one way or another with how things work in reality. Different airline and airport agents will not always have the same interpretation of what the rules say. Other factors also affect what actually happens - especially the more, um, "exotic" your travel gets.

The trick with getting all these different opinions is, maybe the best case will be true when you travel, or maybe it will be the worst case. If you pack for the best case and get the worst case that can be a problem. It's even more fun when different legs of your itinerary have different and conflicting rules.

The Philippines maybe a few years ago started saying you couldn't have regs in carry-on. So that's not unheard of. Given the stricter size and weight restrictions for carry-on with many non-US carriers, checking these often works better anyway once you're out of the US/Caribbean/major carrier orbit.
I fly to the Philippines once, sometimes twice a year and never had an issue with regulators in my carry-on.

Can you provide some details?

In our travels we have discovered that many places fall short of our expectations. But since we do not know your expectations, it would be very helpful to understand what exactly sucked.
We flew Fiji Airways round trip from New Zealand to USA via Nadi airport, Fiji. We had to change planes and we're ushered to the transit lounge, literally 20 feet from where we exited the first airplane. Never left the secure area but had our duty free wine (which was sealed in a security bag) confiscated on entry to the transit lounge.

So much for our gift of a nice New Zealand Chardonnay.

I fly to the Philippines once, sometimes twice a year and never had an issue with regulators in my carry-on.
I travel to that country more often than you and have to stop that practice yrs ago. Nothing to gain.
Bottled water is definitely NOT allowed but I have seen passenger got away with it. The bottle was on the side pocket which is plain for all to see. But I have also seen empty bottle confiscated by the security!
Sometimes if the content of the bag arouse interest, they tend to give it a really thorough search! Cable ties were removed, dive computer was examined, a good look at the mask, money in the wallet was counted etc etc. I even had to switch on the "Walkman"to show it was working yrs ago.

Last edited:
I travel to that country more often than you and have to stop that practice yrs ago. Nothing to gain.
Bottled water is definitely NOT allowed but I have seen passenger got away with it. The bottle was on the side pocket which is plain for all to see. But I have also seen empty bottle confiscated by the security!
Sometimes if the content of the bag arouse interest, they tend to give it a really thorough search! Cable ties were removed, dive computer was examined, a good look at the mask, money in the wallet was counted etc etc. I even had to switch on the "Walkman"to show it was working yrs ago.
I am asked all time: Kamusta ang diving niyo po? To which I reply along the line of: I loved it or the Philippines have the best diving. Everybody smiles and they let me go on .....

My experience was that they were relatively strict on weighing both checked and carry on bags. If it looks heavy and even if not, they weigh it. 7 kgs isn't much when you have cameras and regs. I always wear my backpack when checking in, even if it is slicing my arms off due to weight. Then keep it stowed under the seat while I sit in the departure lounge because I have seen them check luggage there too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom