Testing Equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Boylston

New
Reaction score
Hello, I have been certified for a couple years, but am otherwise pretty new to diving. Other than a college class I took, I haven't really done any diving but am looking to start doing it again.

I have most of the gear I need, but since I haven't used it in a long time, I would like to test it out. I will clearly take the tanks to a dive shop, but is there a way I can test the BCD out at home? If I fill the vest up and leave it for a couple hours, will this be enough of a test to determine if it has any problems with it?

tanks-if out of hydro/vip they need to get hydro'd vip'd. For hydro, check around the local hydro shops and go direct, usually cheaper. For VIP you are pretty much on your own.

bcd-not a whole lot here. Positive pressure check, so inflate fully and let it sit. If it holds air for an hour or two it's air tight. You need to check the inflator as that is where issues usually start and that requires a tank/regulator to leave it hooked up. Empty the bc all the way and if it self inflates after half an hour to an hour, you need to replace/rebuild the inflator. That is DIY and pretty easy.
Video on how to rebuild it is here, and the parts/tools are available from Deep Sea Supply directly

regs-you can really only do two things here. First is check for leaks. Spraying some soapy solution from a squirt bottle at all pressurized connections and listening for leaks. Next step is to purchase an IP gauge and make sure that the IP is stable. If IP is stable and no leaks are detected, then the regs are pretty much good to go

If a "long time", you probably should get the regs serviced by the shop. They'll replace a few doohickeys and inspect the rest.

Sorry for the overly technical language here---English Major..

BC--yup, if holds air and buttons work well, you're good.
Gauges--if they work, they should keep on working. Just check battery and battery boxes for your computer, as well as gasket for same.

Straps--inspect for dry-out or cracking. Bring some surgical tubing along just in case, you can jury-rig anything with that in a pinch.

Why would you service gear that hasn't been tested first? If you have a tank and regs, breathe off of it. If you don't have problems with it, put it in some shallow water and do it again. If no freeflows, dive it. If you find any issues, then pay to get it serviced or service it yourself. Get tanks hydro'd and VIP if out of date and go enjoy the water.

Back
Top Bottom