Solved: LGBTQIA people. Is there a need for a sub-forum?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
El Hefe 612

El Hefe 612

Sings "Wheels on the Bus" Daily
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Okay… First, I know I'm new here. Second, I'm genuinely curious. And third, I read the entire 18-page thread of the "LGBTQ Divers?" question. As a openly gay, married man I would love to have a place to connect with other gay men, women, and like-minded individuals to discuss dive travel opportunities, to find dive buddies without having to worry about whether or not they might have a problem with me, and to feel comfortable talking about things that might impact us.

If possible, I'd like to have a board created under Non-Geographic Clubs called:

LGBTQIA Divers and Their Friends

I have spent the past week-and-a-half searching the internet (and this board) for such clubs, and I was surprised how lacking they were. It's been six years since the original question was posted in the thread referenced above. I know if I'm interested, that there are probably many others who would be too, but they may just be afraid to ask. Many of the responses in the thread above were not very understanding of what it is like living as an LGBTQIA individual in a predominantly heteronormative global society. Having such a space is not about excluding anyone, it's about having space where we don't have to worry about being who we are and can focus on what we love - diving (among many other things).

Thanks!

Homosexuality is illegal in all of those countries. Yeah, maybe they would be fine. Or maybe some local hotshot wants to make a point by arresting "criminals", or worse? It's actually a capital crime in Mauritania, but I hear that they have nice reefs.

So just because you personally don't see any problem, doesn't mean that anyone who does is making "much ado about nothing".

Fair enough....

You know what really annoys me. This OP has 7 posts and they are all in this thread, he hasn't posted any scuba specific question. In fact, his profile says he isnt' even certified yet. He joins and immediately asks for a safe space, like this entire website isn't safe.

PS- great job on diluting the poll and making it worthless.

I would not be surprised if the OP is an active member on SB, and created this profile in order to ask this question anonymously. I am completely understand why someone would do that.

I think the question should be: "is this beneficial to diving?"

I would hope that most would answer emphatically yes. I don't see how anyone could support an answer of "no." (Feel free to PM me if you disagree).

If this sub forum helps just one person be more active in diving in any way, then it should be done. Many of us are dive pros. I'm all for anything that encourages people who are medically able to dive to do so.

Let's not kid ourselves that discrimination doesn't exist in diving. So why not attempt at something that may break down a wall or two. Who knows? There may be a person or two whose mind is opened by discussions they read there.

I’m sorry if there was any miscommunication over the poll. It was never going to be an election to determine whether a group was formed or not. It was there to gauge reaction and that would in turn help to facilitate discussion. In that I feel it has succeeded.

My rephrasing the question was due to a number of posts that indicated people were voting for options they didn’t agree with but didn’t feel the other option expressed their opinion. Several abstained from voting at all because of this.

We went from a 50/50 split to an indication that only 13% actually oppose the starting of this forum. That is far from useless to me or the other mods attempting to decide what to do on this.

Oh and I vehemently disagree that a posts value should be determined by how many times the poster has posted. There are members on here with 20k plus posts that I wouldn’t trust to get the colour of the ocean right and some with a handful of posts that are all gold.

You know what really annoys me. This OP has 7 posts and they are all in this thread, he hasn't posted any scuba specific question. In fact, his profile says he isnt' even certified yet. He joins and immediately asks for a safe space, like this entire website isn't safe.

And now your true colors are showing

First I want to say thanks for making me feel welcome as a new member! Being one of the largest scuba related websites out there, I'm rather surprised there isn't already a board for LGBTQIA related discussion especially after the original post from 6 years ago that I previously mentioned. I'm sorry if you feel my question or request is invalid because I'm new. Perhaps the fact that I hold a Ph.D., have taught courses on diversity and other topics at a major university, and have personally experienced discrimination gives me some credibility on asking about this despite being new. If I'm looking, others are looking. So, from your perspective, I still wonder how Dork Divers, Grumpy Old Divers, Military Divers, Worldwide Christian Scuba Diving Organization are any more or less deserving of a board, in your mind, than LGBTQIA Divers and Friends, not to mention Humor, Games, Clips, Yarns and Tales? I'm sorry if my looking for a safe space to discuss certain things bothers you. I never said the entire website isn't safe, I simply requested a safe space to discuss specific topic-related issues. Based on your comment, I doubt I can help you understand why this is important or necessary in a global community such as Scuba Board. Just know some of us feel it is (I have received personal messages from other members).

I belong to a car racing club. I would say it's as much or more hetro/male dominant than scuba diving. I'm sure there are LMNOP and whatever members. One guy is gay for sure. He brings his boyfriend to the track and they act like a couple (as they are). It's not that crazy of a thing. Neither one of them want a safe or special space. There really isn't any problem. They don't want to be treated as LMNOP or whatever the new PC term is. They are just drivers.

I can understand the travel concerns for sure, but this info is available anywhere on the interwebs. I'm not against this new forum or whatever, but don't see the need.

This to me is a type of segregation. Next we'll need sub forums for Asians, Whites, Blacks, Latinos, and Eskimos.

All that said, if I don't like it I can ignore it. There are just too many people looking for safe spaces anymore. My $ .02

I'm sure this post, as well as my avatar will offend somebody.......

A better question is, how many actually browse specific sub-forums? Minus classifieds, all I select is new posts and check out whatever has an interesting subject title.

perspective, I still wonder how Dork Divers, Grumpy Old Divers, Military Divers, Worldwide Christian Scuba Diving Organization are any more or less deserving of a board,

Deserving was not what I was thinking about. Need was what I was thinking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom