Doubles/cave style hose routing with single tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Berry Ke

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi,

I've seen some video's recently where people use a different style of hose routing than is teached to beginners by the likes of Padi and SSI. I saw this setup being used by cave divers and people who use double tanks in general. For some reason this setup got my attention because it made sense.
I digged a little deeper into it and noticed there're also people who use and actively advocate this stye of hose routing with a single tank setup and I'm actually planning to try this style because I think it's a better style, although my opinion is based on looks.

I'm wondering if there are people here who use this style also with single tanks? Or just in general what people think about this, are there things to know about it? Are there downsides to it?

Quite common nowadays.
The 7 ft hose is NOT readily available in some places and more expensive as well.
Some would use a 5 ft hose with swivel for the primary 2nd stage(different routing).

I'd argue that most people that are active participants in this forum dive with what we call a "primary donate" hose setup.
There are three variations on this setup with the primary consistency being the secondary is on a suicide strap around the neck *red hose*. Most of us argue that this is a safer alternative to what is taught by most recreational instructors which is a secondary donate or secondary take setup which is what you are used to seeing. Primary donate is taught by some recreational instructors when the bc has an integrated secondary/inflator combo which I personally think is dangerous and a questionable "solution" looking for a problem that doesn't exist. Sounds great in theory, falls flat on its face in practicality.

Variation 1
as shown in this picture is a 7'/2m long hose on the primary. This is my preferred choice but is a bit unwieldy when you aren't wearing the rig and are trying to get into the rig.
Variation 2
probably the most recommended on this forum is something we have been using for about a decade which is the 40" hose on some sort of swivel elbow. Sometimes called "Advanced recreational". This is argued by some to be less of a hassle than a 7' hose, though I still prefer the 7'.
Variation 3 is with a 5'/1.5m hose and I don't really like/advocate for this because I find it to have all of the negatives of both the 40" and 7' variations.

Variation 2 explained in this video

When diving open circuit I always dive with the 7 ft PRIMARY/DONATE hose as shown. Started back in '98 with dbls, made sense, so also incorporated it for single tanks.
Later,
John

I'm actually planning to try this style because I think it's a better style, although my opinion is based on looks.

I'm wondering if there are people here who use this style also with single tanks? Or just in general what people think about this, are there things to know about it? Are there downsides to it?

I use a 7' hose and necklaced backup with a single.
This is not about looking good, this is about what works when you need to share air. It looks good because it is well thought out - not the other way around.

I remember my IANTD Deep course some 14 years ago now. I was using a rented oceanic probe BCD and a 'PADI standard' regulator setup configured for 'Secondary take' rather than 'Primary donate'. I had a slung 3L pony as a secondary redundant air source. My instructor was using a BP/W BCD and twinset with a 7' hose as shown in your opening post photo.
It was a revelation to me to see him deal with air share drills and simply wrap the hose behind his head and change regs to stow when complete. The donation of his primary second stage and swap to backup was faster and much more reliable than fumbling around in gloves for a clipped off reg also. The rest of us were constantly struggling to correctly stow the backup regs on various clips at the end of drills while wearing thick gloves in cold conditions.

As I purchased my own gear subsequently I have found that generally the basic 'Hogarthian' setup works better and better the closer you stay to it's basic layout. For example a right hand mounted computer/timer and Simple SPG on the left hip D ring is a more elegant solution than dealing with the bulk of console mounted gauges.
I also find that with a 7' hose the reg does not pull at my mouth as I turn my head and the hoses all stay much closer to my body which means less drag and a lesser chance of entanglement to my way of thinking.
That doesn't mean you cannot customize the basic Hogarthian system for your needs. For example I use a pouch on my right hip instead of a canister light to tuck my long hose under, that pouch holds my DSMB and a rigged spool. As I need those items but do not need a canister light that works for me.

Downsides to the 7' hose:
1: Dealing with the added hose length in the boat.
2: Forgetting the necklace secondary when doffing your BCD and looking like a numpty.

Both are just lack of experience with the gear issues.

Some would use a 5 ft hose with swivel for the primary 2nd stage(different routing).
No need for a swivel with a 150cm hose. It routes almost the same as the 210cm hose, but instead of going down below a cannister or tucked inside the waist strap, it just goes across the stomach/chest area before it goes up behind the neck. I use a 150cm long hose myself, as I don't see any need for a 210cm hose unless I have to swim single file while donating. Since I don't go into caves or penetrate wrecks, I can't imagine ever having to swim single file while donating, so a 150cm long hose makes perfect sense to me.

@Berry Ke : If you choose the long hose primary donate config, be aware that you can get your long hose tangled with your necklaced backup. My last check before splashing is to do a quick S-drill on the surface, to make sure the hose isn't tangled or otherwise restricted. You really don't want your buddy to end up with both the reg you're donating, and the backup you were going to breathe from :)

I dive that setup with a single tank, with a 5' hose. The only downside I can see is while traveling and the DMs having no clue how to handle it or set it up for you. So unlike the other people you can't really say "yes, take my gear down to the boat and set it up for me".

The only downside I can see is while traveling and the DMs having no clue how to handle it or set it up for you. So unlike the other people you can't really say "yes, take my gear down to the boat and set it up for me".
For me, that's not a downside. I really prefer setting up my gear myself.

And I, too, use the long hose setup with a single tank.

I'm wondering if there are people here who use this style also with single tanks? Or just in general what people think about this, are there things to know about it?

That is how I dive with singles, except that I use a 40" hose under my right arm, rather than an 84" hose. I use an 84" hose with doubles.

Are there downsides to it?

Some. You have to remember to put the neck strap on while donning your kit, and if you don't, the reg isn't readily accessible in an emergency. To some extent the rig has to be customized for your body shape and size - with the proper necklace length and possibly the addition of some elbows.

With the 84" hose particularly, handling the hose in the water is a skill that has to be learned. You have to be able to re-stow it if it comes loose. The 84" hose is more awkward to handle on a boat or on shore and will tend to drag when you are carrying your assembled kit. It can get in the way of a snorkel or a stage cylinder although again with practice you learn to deal with it.

I dive that setup with a single tank, with a 5' hose. The only downside I can see is while traveling and the DMs having no clue how to handle it or set it up for you. So unlike the other people you can't really say "yes, take my gear down to the boat and set it up for me".

Are there people who actually let "dive masters" take their gear down to the boat and set it up?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom