Isla Mujeres recommendations (Food, etc.)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FettSolo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey folks,

I will be on Isla Mujeres from August 6-11 to snorkel with whale sharks! Staying at Na Balam. Just curious if anybody had recommendations for places to eat, as well as anything I should do/see when I'm not snorkeling?

As far as food, I don't eat seafood, but I love Mexican cuisine in general, and I greatly prefer to eat food off the street, holes in the wall, local hang-outs etc. instead of particularly fancy/touristy spots.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Nash's Tapas. :) Not that fancy but good food. :) Bunch of other places to eat on Hidalgo Ave as well. All within walking distance.

This might not be helpful but I don't think I have ever had a bad meal on Isla Mujeres. That being said eat both breakfast and lunch at Mango Cafe, its one of the best restaurants on the island.

I was there a few weeks ago for a few days. There's a shopping/dining/drinking area on the North end of Miguel Hidalgo Ave, with a cluster of restaurants that might have what you're looking for. The clientele is a mix of local and tourist. We also had some pretty good lunches at Cafe Mogagua on Ave. Juarez.
The main mode of transport for visitors seems to be golf carts, which is a cool way to get around, but the rates are high. Many of the taxis will double as tour guides for a pretty reasonable rate-there is less population density, some beautiful vistas, interesting chapels on the Southern end of the island.

Last edited:
Over many years of Whale SHark and Sailfish trips, I have cultivated some favorites.
Jax (across from the beach near docks) good for burgers ect
Olivia (Mediterranean and vegetarian) - my favorite for value and deliciousness
Green Verde
Rooster (breakfast)
La Lamida
Pita Amore (hole in the wall , cheap and good Av Guerrero 20)

Ps I too have never had a bad meal or gotten sick on food in Isla Mujeres

How's the diving there ? Is it worth a week trip ?

Whale sharks or any other cool life around in November ?
Mrs Cat wants to visit next year.

Just my opinion, but I think the diving is better in Cozumel and way better all the way down in Xcalak
Isla mujeres has the Underwater Museum which is most unique. There is a spot called Manta Valley that I have never been to but sounds great - somewhere accessible from Cancun or Isla

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom