Bangka - recently?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We were there in Aug 2016 and the food sucked. We weren't the only ones to say so, either.

- Bill
That's what I already wrote about in a thread where I had an argument with the belgian guy : in 2015 there was another chinese/indonesian manager on Bangka called Tommie.

Luko all fair points! I'll try Murex if you try BB! ha ha
For the record I never once said anything bad about Murex. Just stating my point of view on an alternative.
But the price hike just puts Murex out of the budget for us. It works out at about Euro 50 per day per person more expensive than BB for accom + 2 dives.

When we dived with BB the boat was not full at all...in fact it was the Murex boats that were full! Just saying different experiences.

I had been in touch with Murex about a possible stay in February. They have said that they are in the process of installing solar panels , and when they are ready they may be able to extend the time that electricity is available. But until then it's just on between 5 pm and 7 am , understandably , as it is comes from a generator.

I dived Bangka quite a few times last month, but I stayed next door at Gangga Island.

Food, electricity and A/C were all great!

I checked into Gangga Island. I sent an email and asked for rates, didn't get a response so I used an old rate sheet I had.

For a week's stay for two people, I calculated $2926 for accommodation, $1855 for diving (2.5 dives / day), plus tips and alcohol and got $5259 (or $877 per dive day).

For that kind of money, I'd rather go to Raja Ampat I think. RA is more expensive then Gangga, (I'm comparing to Mermaid) but I'm pretty sure it delivers more.

- Bill

:) For half of this price you have your own private boat, nitrox and unlimited diving with us at Divers Lodge Lembeh:
Unlimited diving with Nitrox, with private boat and private dive-guide, full board accommodation, which even includes laundry service, for 2 persons sharing: USD 484, - (USD 242, - per person).

Or at Weda Resort: full board accommodation, 3 dives, private boat, private guide, for two persons sharing; USD 514, -. (257, - per person).

I stayed for 15 days, and for one person full board plus 3 nitrox dives per day and tips the actual bill was USD 310 per day.
No alcohol as I don't normally drink.

There are many good places to stay in the area, it's up to you what your willing to pay and for what facilities.

Last edited:
I checked into Gangga Island. I sent an email and asked for rates, didn't get a response so I used an old rate sheet I had.

For a week's stay for two people, I calculated $2926 for accommodation, $1855 for diving (2.5 dives / day), plus tips and alcohol and got $5259 (or $877 per dive day).

For that kind of money, I'd rather go to Raja Ampat I think. RA is more expensive then Gangga, (I'm comparing to Mermaid) but I'm pretty sure it delivers more.

- Bill

I misread the rate sheet. The cost would be $2874 per pax for 10 nights and 16 dives, or about $319 per day per person. Plus alcohol and tips. That's in our budget.

- Bill

Or at Weda Resort: full board accommodation, 3 dives, private boat, private guide, for two persons sharing; USD 514, -. (257, - per person).

Bill, sorry to hijack your thread. However since you will be moving to Bali & considering other diving places in Indonesia, I thought you might like to hear my inquiry to Indah about Weda Resort.

Indah, I've been to Bangka & Lembeh, but never been to Maluku and considering to go to Weda Resort for a week & Morotai (for close-n-counter of Black-tip Shark & Devil Ray Thurstoni) for another week. I think from Houston I can go to either Jakarta or Manado with Singapore Airlines. Which domestic hub (transit) city would you recommend, Jakarta or Manado? Geographically Manado seems closer, but would domestic flight availability be a problem (in terms of schedule, bag weight limit, etc.)? Which domestic airlines would you recommend, Garuda or Lion Air (Wings air) or others? How do I go to Weda Resort once I arrive in Ternate?

Thanks
Dan

Last edited:
We were in Bangka last year and we loved the diving (except for the trash in the water) but not the facility and food so much.

We're thinking of going back there next year and I wondered if anyone had been there recently and could comment on (1) the food; and (2) whether there was 24-hour electricity. I particularly want it for the aircon at night (yes, I am one of those fussy / needy / whatever Gringos - but I know what works for me.)

Thanks,

Bill & Emily

This is Indonesia, Bill. It ain't Mexico. FYI, they call you Bule, not Gringo, or Bule-bule not Gringos (for plural form of the word) :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom