Am I the only one?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are a couple people within the group that I typically dive with that fall in to a 3rd group. They are constantly asking for help, but then they get annoyed when you try to help them.

I don't offer any advice unless it's a person I really know and it is of course constructive. There are exceptions though for that 'guy' who is bouncing off the reef or just generally ruining my dive. Don't be that guy......

I still ask occasionally (mainly because I know there's lots of room for improvement.) But I ask less often, having realized that asking a new buddy for feedback can come across like when my wife asks "Do these shorts make my butt look big"?

I do not consider myself to be an advanced diver since I only get to dive 3 weeks of the year. Every dive I strive to do better (buoyancy or air consumption or just being a better buddy). I always ask the dive masters after my 1st dive "what could I do better?" On my last trip (1 week ago) when I ask this I got a very strange look from the dive master who said "you are really good divers" almost like he was shocked at my question. Doesn't every one ask this? I figure when I stop learning it is time for me to stop. The ocean is my love but I respect her totally, it is a hostile environment that we must never take for granted, we are just visiting. Am I the odd man out? Bill

One should be comfortable UW, dive safely and not negatively impact other divers. After that, it depends why you are diving.

Increasing air consumption, better form, better frog kick, better back kick, higher level certifications, etc., are motivators for some.

I dive to see and video marine life. For me, becoming better means better at capturing marine life with my camera.

The dive master saw you as a comfortable, safe diver. That's all he really cares about. He was not thinking like an instructor. Maybe you should take a class.

I can't say I have ever asked a DM "what could I do better?" I suppose if I dived with a DM whose skills I really admired, I might ask something like that. But how did they get those skills? The fact that DMs dive all the time is the greatest factor in what makes THEM good divers. I take courses now and then, and I practice skills, but it's clear to me that diving more often is the number one thing I could do that would help make me a better diver.

As long as I am not bouncing off the reef, silting up the bottom, putting myself or others in danger, or getting in anyone's way, I don't care how I look. It's diving, not a talent show or ballet.

As long as I am not bouncing off the reef, silting up the bottom, putting myself or others in danger, or getting in anyone's way, I don't care how I look. It's diving, not a talent show or ballet.

The OP also mentioned air consumption (so as not to hold anyone else in the group up, I assume) and being a good buddy as areas for possible improvement.

Thinking about this some more, it occurs to me that I really don't care about a DM's opinion. If I want to improve my skills, I'll ask an instructor to help me. If I am concerned I'm not a good buddy, I'll ask my buddy. If I am concerned about being inconsiderate of others in the group, I'll ask them. I may not get candid answers, but it seems to me I am better off asking those whom I am potentially directly affecting, rather than asking the DM to give me his observations on who I'm affecting.

Much of the time, air consumption is a matter of being comfortable, relaxed, being in good general fitness/health and physical size.

But I ask less often, having realized that asking a new buddy for feedback can come across like when my wife asks "Do these shorts make my butt look big"?

Only if your new dive buddy can revoke your bedroom privileges. And feeding privileges. And... well, no, I can't see it could possibly be anything like the wife asking about butt.

There is no bad divers...

Nonsense. I've seen/experienced a ton of bad divers. "Buddies" who descend, hit bottom throwing a massive silt cloud, and then swim off - direction unknown. "Divers" who swim straight through several huge patches of gorgonians in a row and don't even notice. "Divers" who have absolutely no buoyancy control. "Divers" who never check their depth or remaining air and get into trouble and expect someone to bail their muppet a$$ out. And on and on and on.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom