Rule of thumb for how much $$ to contribute? private boat diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marie13

Great Lakes Mermaid
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Is there a rule of thumb about how much $$ to contribute when you're diving off a private boat?

I've been invited to dive wrecks on the Great Lakes next weekend but the owner of a small private dive boat. I consider it good manners to contribute when you're asked along on an expensive activity. I bring ammo or contribute $$ towards covering ammo when shooting someone else's firearms, so I consider it necessary to kick in some $$ for fuel next weekend.

If I did a Lake Michigan charter, it would be $110-$130 for a two tank trip.

Thanks!

Just bring some snacks or refreshments for the boat?

Or tip the crew?

No prob asking if you pick in for fuel. Boat owner friend of mine asks for it sometimes and not other times. If they say no, bring snacks...

Ask how much the fuel bill for the trip will be and cover more than your share.

I own a boat and those that cover that amount get invited back.

(Fuel on my boat runs about a gallon a mile). That does not cover moorage, insurance or repairs. I would not expect anyone to kick in for that stuff but fuel - yes.

As someone regularly on the receiving end of this equation the wife and I appreciate people sharing actual costs such as fuel but cannot and will not accept payment for anything else. It would put us into a professional category and our insurance company would probably frown on the situation if anything bad happened. If in doubt, ask the boat owner.

Estimate how much fuel these kinds of boats use on trips of this length, divide by the estimated number of guests, and pay your share. Don't ask the boat owner about fuel costs--ask someone else. It's good that the boat owner apparently did not request guests chip in for fuel. There have been a number of threads in which it was debated whether that would raise issues of the boat owner improperly operating as an unlicensed charter. A savvy boat owner will not ask for money but will hope very much that guests chip in for fuel.

I asked boat owner and was told to just kick in whatever I felt like. Kicking in a $20, for example, seems like way too little. I'm going to offer what I would pay for a local charter here (rounded to $100).

Estimate how much fuel these kinds of boats use on trips of this length, divide by the estimated number of guests, and pay your share. Don't ask the boat owner about fuel costs--ask someone else. It's good that the boat owner apparently did not request guests chip in for fuel. There have been a number of threads in which it was debated whether that would raise issues of the boat owner improperly operating as an unlicensed charter. A savvy boat owner will not ask for money but will hope very much that guests chip in for fuel.

Huh, didn't even consider that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom