Recommendation for liveaboard in thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TT_Vert

Contributor
Reaction score
We'll probably be in Thailand for 2 weeks up to 20 days for wifeys 40th and are looking to dive. I'm just going through liveaboard options and looking at what they offer. A bathroom ensuite is mandatory for us as well as hot water/AC. I would like to dive nitrox given the sheer quantity of dives we'll be doing but aside from that I don't know exactly where to begin as we've never done a liveaboard. What should we be looking for in a ship? In your experience are there things we should consider mandatory or look for when deciding. We're certainly willing to pay for a great experience. We will have our own gear minus tanks and weights for wifey. Any locations I should consider mandatory places the boat goes or doesn't go? I'm sure I have 100 other questions but wifey just threw this in my lap today. We're going to be going in early November.

Do these dive ops require both of us have a dive computer? She has always surfaced with me and stayed above me so it's never been an issue. I have a suunto vyper which is the most conservative computer around even on the least conservative setting so I think new dive computers are in order if they do require them.

Thanks much guys!

Dave

It would depend on the dive OP, but in general they will be ok with a shared computer.

You mention 'early november' so I presume you have some flexibility in your dates? I'd be happy to help you with this.

So it looks like wifey booked the Sawasdee Fasai. I'll have to research it but has anyone been on this particular boat.

Dave

Also considering spending some time on Koh Lanta if anyone has input there.

Last edited:
What happen if the only computer fails during the trip or worst still when under water? I dive with two just in case.
She deserts a good, practical and timely birthday present.
If you are happy with Sunnto then get her another one. Cheaper option would be Mares Puck.

The suunto is way too conservative for us. It is a pain on multiple day boat dives. If we both got computers we'd want to use the same computer algorithm as we'd have to dive the most conservative one. She really doesn't want a computer, i've tried for ages Either way I'd keep the suunto as a backup although to be honest it'd probably be locked out in 2 days and it'd be a useless backup in an Er state for 48 hours. I would like to have AI just for the ease of SAC calcs in Subsurface. I'm never getting rid of my SPG as it's almost my tic to check pressure every 10 to 15 minutes. I like the perdix AI because I can add a transmitter onto my wife's first stage and monitor her pressure even though we are constantly checking up on each other.

Dave

You do not need AI to calculate SAC in Subsurface.

I understand that but many times I get lazy w/ recording start/end pressures. And sometimes I forget to write it down.

Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom