Which, where and why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ricardo V.

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
After looking at ridiculous routes and prices to get to Bonaire from FL, it's looking like HI is where we want to go next.
My wife and I are avid divers and are familiar with the Caribbean Basin. We are warming up to the idea of visiting Hawaii early next month. We enjoy boat dives, but also shore dives and like to shoot video as well as stills. Some wide, but mainly macro photography.
I would welcome your advise and recommendations on which island to visit first. We want to shore dive and boat dive, and of course enjoy some time driving around and taking in what the State has to offer.
Thank you for your input.
Ricardo

In my opinion, if you want to do some non-dive related touristy type things in addition to diving, I would start on the "Big Island". The reason that I recommend this as a starting point is because Kilauea is one of the world's most active volcanoes and is a sight that should not be missed. Volcanoes National Park is, however at an elevation of up to 4,000 feet so to visit here after diving would add a complication that can easily be avoided simply by starting here. I would make a point of seeing where the lava reaches the ocean (best seen at night). If you are on the island of Hawaii, I would also make a point of going to see the black sand beaches at Punulu'u

Volcano 2.jpg

Here is a shot of the volcano (where the lava reaches the ocean) from my visit to Hawaii in 2009.

I will be back in Maui for the last two weeks of August. You can do both beach and boat dives. I much prefer boat dives. There are some great dive sites and still plenty of touristy things to do. I,too, live in Florida. It's a bit a trek to get there but Hawaii is wonderful. Honestly you can't go wrong on Maui, Kauai, or the big island.

Hoag, elbig,
Thank you for the feedback and suggestions. I'm thinking Hawaii will be our next dive destination.
Ricardo

Hoag, elbig,
Thank you for the feedback and suggestions. I'm thinking Hawaii will be our next dive destination.
Ricardo

As I know you will, just work out all the math. Especially if cost is the primary consideration? A week of unlimited shore diving in Bonaire is $160 per person with free Nitrox. Compare that to $100+ per person for a 2 tank boat dive per day, per person, without Nitrox on Hawaii. Rental car also more expensive on Hawaii.
Shore diving on any of the Hawaiian Islands is not so convenient and definitely subject to the the time of year, tides and location. Hotel or AirBNB or VRBO will also be cheaper on Bonaire for a given week. If cost is not an issue and you want to do something new- then by all means, consider Hawaii. Personally, I live on the West Coast and Hawaii is much closer and less expensive for me and I would only consider going there to dive off of the Kona Agressor live aboard to feel like I would get the best bang and diving for my buck for 2 people - (factoring in all food, drinks, dives, accommodations, transportation and # of quality dives).

I will be back in Maui for the last two weeks of August. You can do both beach and boat dives. I much prefer boat dives. There are some great dive sites and still plenty of touristy things to do. I,too, live in Florida. It's a bit a trek to get there but Hawaii is wonderful. Honestly you can't go wrong on Maui, Kauai, or the big island.

I'll second Maui and Hawai'i (big island) but I haven't (yet) been to Kauai. Molokini is pretty cool too especially if you stay on Maui (close by). I also did the Turtle Cleaning Station from Maui and thought it was great but hadn't seen very many turtles before that. The Manta Ray Night Dive from Hawai'i is a must do dive. Also, the Black Water dive is supposed to be spectacular but I missed it due to weather. I have not done any shore diving yet from Hawai'i but I've been writing down locations mentioned here on SB. I did several shore dives on Maui at Ulua Beach and saw lots of cool stuff but it's very shallow (30-35') so your air lasts a long time. At some of the popular places (Ulua) you need to get there early (6:00 am) to get a good parking spot and before the novices ruin the visibility. Right now I'm waiting for cheap airfare and I'm off to Kona. Cozumel and Isla Mujeres are already booked for later this year :wink:

Also, Haleakala (volcano) is at about at 10,000 feet on Maui so you have to plan your dives accordingly. It's like being on another planet up there.

I thought the prices for diving in general in Hawai'i were not too bad--somewhat cheaper than California but considerably more than Mexico. Food is expensive but not killer expensive. They like to give out speeding tickets on the big island and the cop cars don't look like cop cars.

If you want to shore dive, then it should be the Big Island.

But...AA flies from Miami to Curacao twice a day. What's the problem?

If it is a diving vacation, then the Big Island is the only real choice. Diving is OK but not nearly as good on the other islands, although Maui/Molokini is definitely worth a day or two. Take LOTS of money.

Take a look at the M/V Valentina out of La Paz, for the Sea of Cortez. Great trip.

After looking at ridiculous routes and prices to get to Bonaire from FL, it's looking like HI is where we want to go next.
My wife and I are avid divers and are familiar with the Caribbean Basin. We are warming up to the idea of visiting Hawaii early next month. We enjoy boat dives, but also shore dives and like to shoot video as well as stills. Some wide, but mainly macro photography.
I would welcome your advise and recommendations on which island to visit first. We want to shore dive and boat dive, and of course enjoy some time driving around and taking in what the State has to offer.
Thank you for your input.
Ricardo
We've been on the Big Island for about 15 years and take our guests out on shore dives when they stay at our SuGar Cottage (sugar-inc.com). We have enjoyed having the big swimming pool right in our back yard and enjoy a variety of underwater sights to choose from up and down the Kona coast. The Big Island really has plenty to visit without feeling you are surrounded by tourists. The lava flow at the National Volcano Park has been active lately and is only 63 miles from our place.

After looking at ridiculous routes and prices to get to Bonaire from FL,
Ricardo

I was looking into going to Bonaire from California a while back and just kinda gave up. The flights I was finding were something like 36 hours with a bunch of long layovers at a couple of airports that I wasn't sure existed. Is it similar from Florida?

Back
Top Bottom