Doubles on Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Compressor

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hello:

Has anyone rented doubles on Bonaire either thru Buddy Dive or Dive Friends? I know from the other thread I started recently that it is possible. I just want to know the nitty gritty, +s and -s as compared to the regular ease of renting at the 2 facilities mentioned.

I am thinking that it may be easier to sling a 80 than anything else dealing with the facilities.
Thanks

Buddy Dive has a GUE instructor on staff (Mr.G) and they have several sets of doubles available. Don't know the logistics, but it'd be easy enough to reach out to them with any questions you have. We dived with Dive Friends Bonaire and never saw any doubles set up at any of their spots (not saying they don't have them or couldn't get them, just that we didn't see them).

Our group consisted of experienced doubles divers, but personally, we just enjoyed the numpty diving and were happy with single 80s. Many of the entries would not have been doubles friendly.

Another option for doubles may be these guys.

Rates Cylinders, Gases & Sorb |

They bought out Walter Stark and Rec Tec Scuba located at Captain Don's. I know Walter kept some doubles and looking at the new shop's website they still advertise double 80's though it looks like they are focusing more on sidemount and rebreathers.

Hello:

Has anyone rented doubles on Bonaire either thru Buddy Dive or Dive Friends? I know from the other thread I started recently that it is possible. I just want to know the nitty gritty, +s and -s as compared to the regular ease of renting at the 2 facilities mentioned.

I am thinking that it may be easier to sling a 80 than anything else dealing with the facilities.
Thanks
Buddy costs $22 per day for Aluminum 80 doubles. Might be a discount for a week.
Dive Friends rents them but the price is not listed online. If they are anywhere close to the cost of Buddy, I would think they would be more convenient given their multiple shop and air fill locations.

Great and appreciated responses. Thank you

Rented them through dive Buddy and Technical dive services at Captain Don's. I would never go back to Captain Don's. Mr.G at dive buddy was amazing.

Why would you never go back to Captain Dons? I rent side mount tanks from Mr. G at Buddy's every trip. I dive out of the Belmar dive shop and, last trip, I walked in for orientation and there they were sitting on the shop floor....Mr G had them delivered to the Belmar for me...nice...the guys at the Buddy Dive fill stop fill the tanks quickly most of the time (32% for light tech dives around 100' or so....only PADI Tec 40 certified at this time) so I find the logistics to be not so bad. I guess I can't really speak to the process for gasses other than 32%. This may not help since it appears you're looking for manifold doubles but I thought I'd throw it out anyway...

All this is useful to me. I appreciate the responses even though I don't know how to do side mount. Interesting enough I sent email to buddy diveshop and have NOT heard back. Its been 2 days.

Dive Friends Bonaire had two sets of doubles at the southern city location. They were 20 extra per day. I had to replace the bolts and nuts. Obviously, you had to go to one of their fill stations rather than any location to have them filled. I used hamlet oasis. It was a bit inconvenient having to unload and load them two or three times a day. If their hose was a few feet longer, I could have pulled up and had them filled without unloading. Same issue with Buddy dive. I may bring a whip with me next time. You can alternate air and 32% fills in the doubles to get deeper mixes.

When I needed a set of doubles, VIP actually assembled a set specifically for me. So you can get them from them as well.

I don't Think it is absolutely necessary to have special tanks with left / right valves to do sidemount. That is what I consider the primary value of sidemount versus backmount. You can sidemount anywhere. I just sidemounted off of scuba club Cozumel with 63s.

The TDS guy at captain dons had to be there to get your tanks filled when I was there in January. He had hurt his leg, so he wasn't there all the time. Some guys I dove with switched to buddy's after that became an issue. Maybe that has changed since then.

I have backmounted a single air 80 and slung a 32% 63 for light deco on bonaire.

Last edited:
Update: I got notice that doubles are $132/week. I think this is a very fair price.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom