regulator cannot be in carry-on baggage in Fiji

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a final closure to this thread, I did travel with my regulator in my carry on and had no problems. In fact, Fiji is a dive friendly destination. Fiji airways offers a special dive pack baggage price for divers. You get one free checked bag, if your check a second bag it costs $150, however if you arrange for a dive pack with the airline with your ticket, and your dive gear bag is your second bag, they reduce the price for your gear bag to $50. So, no worries about traveling with your regulator in your carry on bag.

Is there a link for this? Going next month but can't find anything mentioning this on the FA site

Thanks

We flew Fiji Airways round trip from New Zealand to USA via Nadi airport, Fiji. We had to change planes and we're ushered to the transit lounge, literally 20 feet from where we exited the first airplane. Never left the secure area but had our duty free wine (which was sealed in a security bag) confiscated on entry to the transit lounge.

So much for our gift of a nice New Zealand Chardonnay.

Yeah, but that will happen anywhere, not just Fiji. Seen plenty of people lose wine at HK and Sin airports that way.

Can someone tell me, what's the big deal with packing regs in normal luggage?

I carry all sorts of delicate stuff in luggage with never a breakage.

Can someone tell me, what's the big deal with packing regs in normal luggage?

I carry all sorts of delicate stuff in luggage with never a breakage.
delicate stuff? My divebuddy has all sorts of delicate stuff that she will not let me touch, let alone wash.

Can you be a bit more concise?

Yeah, but that will happen anywhere, not just Fiji. Seen plenty of people lose wine at HK and Sin airports that way.
Only if the flights are flying to OZ or some other places eg. USA otherwise it is not an issue in HK.
I can buy duty free alcohol in HK airport, pass the security and bring it on board as long as it is properly packed, sealed and have all the relevant document with me.

International flights going into US Territory....don't bother with the duty free booze..unless you can get it in your luggage...it's gone!

International flights going into US Territory....don't bother with the duty free booze..unless you can get it in your luggage...it's gone!

Exactly. Just be sure to get it into your checked luggage before you recheck for the domestic leg (i.e. right after clearing Customs). I've done this countless times...no biggie.

delicate stuff? My divebuddy has all sorts of delicate stuff that she will not let me touch, let alone wash.

Can you be a bit more concise?
Bottles of wine, DSLR cameras, glass ornaments, wooden ornaments to name a few.

I recall a Star Trek movie where Kirk says "Mister Spock, if you expected logic you are on the wrong planet."

There's no logic in airline travel today. And in the US, we're probably in last place for reimbursing air travelers for theft and loss. The TSA reluctantly mentioned canning some 500 baggage handlers for theft and tampering...and as a traveler, you get nothing for cameras and computers and other valuables unless you buy excess baggage coverage. Bend over. Supply your own vaseline.

The rules are a dog and pony show that have nothing to do with real security, and they are enforced arbitrarily. Like the day that I couldn't help notice a man with sunglasses and a white cane, seated in the emergency exit row. (I think about six of us had the call buttons pushed before the first cabin crew figured out there might be a problem.)

Bottom line? Get to security at least an hour early. If they say "You can't fly with that pencil, you might poke someone's eye out" then just go back to the check-in desk and put it in checked baggage. Or, request that it be GATE CHECKED, which is normally within the discretion of the flight crew, for ANY objects.

You just need to waste time. That's the only guarantee you'll get.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom