New BC1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think they missed it big time with it. And the price...:eek: That's at least several hundred more than the next most expensive bcd I know of - the Zeagle Ranger LTD - somewhere north of $1000 now also. And the price on the Atomic does not include the inflator.

It seems like the new trend is shedding water - a feature on the Scubapro Hydros also. That's never been an issue for me.

I'm really wary of the thermoplastic cam band also. I see pretty regular comments in here on Mares products cracking after a few years sun exposure - which use similar materials in their tank support system.

And it's a jacket...that makes so little sense at that price point that I have no clue who they think that will appeal to when most other jackets are up to $1000 less. At $399 it's a great value if you're a recreational diver (and want a jacket to float on the surface) At a thousand more - not so much.

Anyone willing to spend that kind of money is probably going to be using a back-inflate design as they progress into technical training - or something that can mount doubles instead.

Not for me and I love their regs.

Last edited:
Note, I love Atomic too, my family has a couple dozen of their products.

I agree whole heartily on the thoughts of its a jacket. As you stated, Everyone I know that spends that much on a BC are running a Backplate design. The best selling BC in the Orlando and Ft Lauderdale shops I work with, are mid level Jackets, $600.

Regardless, my Ranger is not going anywhere anytime soon.

There are people who will pay $49 for a burger because it's supposedly the best in town without asking around to find out the $12 burger across the street is actually better, and then order two just in case. I suspect that is the target market for this BCD.

Funny, I started a thread about this BC in the Buoyancy forum today. I received an email from an online dive shop advertising this BC and just couldn't believe the price. Why would anyone spend this much money on a poodle jacket? And, why do they continue to use a weight pocket with a clip in design when they now have access to Zeagles Ripcord system. This I just don't get, every diver I have known with a weight integrated BC with a clip design like this has had issues with the pockets not clipping in properly or falling out. The Ripcord system is foolproof and dead simple, unlike all the other systems that seem to have recalls all the time.

I picked up the BC1 from the Long Beach scuba show for $1100 out the door. It is nice! I already had an SS1on my knighthawk and i just switched it over to the BC1. I have put about 10 dives on it and i love it. I have been able to use less weight with it, i was using 20 lbs of weight with the Knighthawk and now only 16 lbs with the BC1. It feels so nice when it is on. The weight pouches slip smoothly into place and you hear a snap when they lock in. The handles to remove the weights are very nice and the weights slide out just as smoothly. The cam band is an upgrade over my Knighthawk, the air dump releases are sturdy. The pocket design and D ring placement are great. The D rings themselves are better quality. The grommets for my dive knife work well. As you can tell, I love this thing. So comfortable and obvious high quality. They designed this right. I wasnt sure i wanted a jacket style BCD because i liked my Knighthawk a lot but underwater this is better. Totally worth the extra bucks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom