Women and everything being heavy in scuba diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

women carry heavy stuff; kids, furnture, overloaded laundry baskets up two flights. A better question is how do men manage to carry heavy stuff after sitting at a desk job all week long. But as we all get older we all feel it gets a bit heavier.
Lol. I work construction. Wrought iron, concrete and building block walls. No desk job for me. Again lmao.

To give this remark a little context, are you the woman in the avatar or the man?[/QUOTE
I am the man. Just got a kick out of how do men carry heavy items after sitting at a desk all week.

375312_833550112455_2045782632_n.jpg
15941276_10100729415837335_1287866597551995453_n (1).jpg

No problems lifting heavy gear here. That scooter is easy 55 lbs. The doubles are more...and I've dove galvanized 108's with no issues. This girl can handle it. :wink:

There was a thread like this a few years ago, and as I recall, here is how it ended. A couple of the males posted about the kind of exercise, especially weight training, they did regularly to make sure they had the strength and conditioning needed to handle heavy scuba gear. Those posts were something of a revelation to one of the female posters, who described her realization that if the supposedly stronger men felt they needed to do that kind of work in order to handle scuba gear effectively, maybe she should start doing the same kind of workouts herself. Whether you are a male or a female, if you have a job or a hobby that calls for you to handle anything heavy, it makes sense to do what it takes to prepare yourself for that work. I certainly do, and there is plenty of testimony in this thread to the many women divers who are perfectly capable of handling heavy weights to show that there is nothing stopping a woman from being able to do it as well.

I'm female, I'm a diver, I'm a Mechanical Engineer.
Although personally I'm not exactly a fragile female, there are always ways to deal with heavy things safely. When it comes to tanks & gear - I really like trolleys. Makes loading up a boat a heap easier and faster regardless of whether you are male or female!
Yes I definitely agree with John too - if you are diving you should be dive fit. It's not just about the heavy weights - it's about the diving itself too. It'll make your diving more enjoyable and safer.

When it comes to tanks & gear - I really like trolleys. Makes loading up a boat a heap easier and faster regardless of whether you are male or female!

Yep. work smarter, not harder. There's alway a point where the task exceeds an individual's "brute force and ignorance" capacity.

I never ask my husband to lift dive gear. Then my gig is up when I pull in with a load from Costco.... active female divers work smarter, not harder.

There are some things that require more hand strength than I've got. (Diving concept gloves replacements I'm talking to you) and my non diver does it for me.

My GF is considering getting OW certified...and it's not the weight of this stuff that is a damper- it's the cold frekin Puget Sound waters that are a significant factor. Hence, doing classrom in Seattle- and finishing classes in Grand Cayman are very attractive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom