Current water temperatures in Alor and Padangbai

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Liberty01

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am going to Alor end of August for ten days and then to Padangbai with at least one trip to Nusa Penida

Last year, the water temperatures in Nusa Penida were significantly higher than average.

How about current water temperatures in Alor, Padangbai and Nusa Penida?

Cheers, Liberty

South Penida fluctuates between 19-24C at the moment. Northern Penida typically warmer.. of course can get some thermoclines at Crystal Bay down to 16C
Haven't been to Padang Bai recently but 20-25C.. always plenty of thermoclines around
Alor - north end should be 26 + whereas the south end most likely below 21C, I have had 16C at this time of year...

Last year, the water temperatures in Nusa Penida were significantly higher than average.

Interesting observation, this occured for me at Alor last year. I have been visiting Alor quite regularly over the last 10 years, and normally there are a variety of warmer temperature (27-30°C) dives to some colder water ones (say 26-24°C, 22°C, and one time 18°C for me in Nov 2015), depending on location, tides, thermoclines, what the moon is, etc..

But my trip in the second half of November 2016 was different - almost all the dives over an 11 day visit in different locations were really warm, even at sites that were normally cooler, like south side of Pantar with all the anemones, and Bama wall. This time temperatures were 29 or 30°C, sometimes hitting 31°C. It was just a strange 2 week period, and apparently this also happened earlier in the year around May. Quite worrying really - I always had some cooler temperature dives on my previous visits. Maybe El Nino effect or something... Or possibly this just happens once in a while.

yes, 2016 was a very warm year throughout Indo, El Nino the culprit...

Interesting observation, this occured for me at Alor last year. Maybe El Nino effect or something... Or possibly this just happens once in a while.

Back
Top Bottom