Sub-Gravity AquaProp; The Little DPV that could

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's a 90 degree twist of the nose cone and just plug it in to charge.

What's the process for becoming a dealer for these?

How do these compare to a SeaDoo Explorer X in terms of speed? If I'm reading right the SeaDoo maxes out at 3.3mph and the AquaProp maxes out at 50m/pm (1.86mph). Is that about right?

Runtime looks comparable.
Curious what the setup is and how many points of seal there are.
Maybe it was rounding error but I did the math last night based on both DPV's website data and I calculated the AquaPro at 1.875 mph.

I have three running Seadoo Explorers. I am not dissatisfied with them but still looking for something better.

From what has been published on the websites this is what I have found.

Both have comparable run times
AquaPro almost half the top speed of the Explorer
AquaPro almost twice the cost of the Explorer
Explorer almost twice as heavy
Explorer almost twice the battery charge time

There are about 20-30 Explorers running on our island. People love them...including myself. But I live on the third floor of an apartment bldg and it sucks when I have to carry three of them up & down the stairs. Also some of the earlier Explorers had leak/flood issues. So when I go out I constantly have that i the back of my mind.

Does anyone have any first hand knowledge with both the AquaPros and the Explorers?

If Subgravity is at DEMA this year I will look at them.

The aqua prop run time is 120 to 200 minutes. More than the explorer.
Seadoo grossly over estimates the speed their units can run.

IMHO these DPVs are not in the same category. I've run classes with both and none of the students I've had with the seadoo scooters were ever able to finish a class using one due to one issue or another.

I can attest the Aqua Prop has pulling power - I test drove (dove?) one in a quarry. My buddy was diving side mount and weighs north of 230lbs - I was diving back mount doubles and weigh 180lbs - with both of us and gear in tow I grabbed his ankles and it easily pulled us around the quarry not at high speed but much faster than I could swim.
Diving it as a single person it had more than enough power and speed - at least for me.

The leaking issue with the Explorers is the main reason I upgraded to a P1.
I'm curious how effective and simple the seals are on the Aquaprop. It's way too easy to overlook an improperly seated O-ring on the Explorer. I've seen it more times that I can count.

Weight it definitely a close second. Explorers are anything but light.

When I go to DEMA this year maybe they will let me test on in the hotel's pool. :)

The leaking issue with the Explorers is the main reason I upgraded to a P1.
I'm curious how effective and simple the seals are on the Aquaprop. It's way too easy to overlook an improperly seated O-ring on the Explorer. I've seen it more times that I can count.

Weight it definitely a close second. Explorers are anything but light.
Father,

You did not "upgrade" from an Explorer to a Piranha P1...you took a quantum leap. :)

Oldbear

Hi Everyone.
Just stumbled on this page and would like to give my 2c on the subject.
I've had 2 of the AP Li for about 2 years now (the old grey ones).
I bought them directly at BONEX who is the original manufacturer (will come to this later).
I have never had other scooters so I can't make comparisons.
POWER: I have used it sidemount (2x Al 80cft) + Zookeeper (LFCU - look it up) on power 1 and 2 with no problem. It pulled me just fine.
PROPS: Lost the props 2x due to own negligence. They sink but with luck you'll find them. You can reattach them to the shaft due to sprig loaded screws. I ordered 2 more props for spares and was surprised that the quality of the new ones was much lower than the old original ones (other kind of plastic, screws do not turn as well, one wasn't even balanced right which gives a constant shake to the whole scooter - not cool). I did some research and found out the company was sold from the original German owner of BONEX to someone else. Maybe that influenced quality, not sure, but kind of makes me wonder.
BUOYANCY: Scooter is slightly buoyant which is great while hunting or taking pics since it will float and not fall into the corals.
O-RINGS - LUBE: Always use original Lube. I had severe problems using 3rd party lubes. With the original lube all problems disappeared. Also clean the Glidering (not sure if its the correct English word) o-ring on a regular basis (specially in salt water use). It will save you future problems. T get the ceramic part out I use plyers. It works fine and is easier than 2 screwdrivers (this appears in the original video). 1 scooter flooded slightly a couple of times and it turned out to be the glidering. I bought a new one and noticed a slight improvement in quality. No flooding after installing the new part. Electronics and motor worked fine even without cleaning which tells you that the quality (at least from the old scooters) is outstanding. I have never looked at the newer models for comparison.
OVERALL: Judging only from my scooter models and for what I use them for (recreational diving only) I can honestly say they APs are the best bang for the buck scooter out there. They are no toys like others on the market (this judgement comes only from comments I read, not personal use or experience).

Should you want extra info drop me a line.
By the way I do NOT sell or endorse APs or any other Dive related equipment. Everything I wrote comes from personal hands on experience.

Safe dive everyone and have fun under water!

Alex

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom