Women and everything being heavy in scuba diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This past winter I showed up at the dive shop prior to a dive and analyzed the gas in my Worthington steel LP 108 doubles (incredibly heavy) and deco bottles. The planned dive was very popular, and the tank area of the shop was a madhouse of activity. I like to pick out my spot on the boat early and get setup as soon as I can. I saw it would be a darned long time before the staff brought the tanks down to the boat on their cart, so I picked up the doubles and carried them all the way to the boat, down the ramp, and to my seat rather than wait for the staff to do the job. It took nearly two weeks for my back to recover. I never did that again. At some point you have to start using your head, and hopefully that is starting to happen at my advanced age.

I don't think kit being heavy is an issue that is specifically a female concern. The issue is as bad for males.
In many ways I see it as a higher risk for men - they have the foolish macho issue that they can / or should be able to lift an item, when good sense would dictate avoiding the lift.

In the bad old days - when I started diving - the statement was often "if you can't lift it you shouldn't be diving it". What rubbish.
We all know that exertion after diving is risky. It significantly increases the risk of DCI. Not to mention the injury issue of moving heavy equipment full stop, let alone on a rolling deck or in surf.

The benefits of 'technical diving' is that it is now accepted good practice to minimise exertion, prior and after a dive if at all possible. So using carts or wagons to move equipment is far more common practice and encouraged, rather than being 'wimpy'. Dekitting in the water, off loading stages and even twinsets before climbing ladders. Using diver lifts on boats, and winches to recover kit etc. Two people to move heavy equipment. All this is a positive move.

Gareth

PS - One of the real positives over the year in the UK is that now most dive boats have diver lifts. Great if you are wearing a twinset and stages. But also super for disables or handicapped divers. And let us be honest better for the average diver - much nicer to exit the water via a lift, rather than climb a ladder. It is also a wonderful tool if you do have to recover a casualty especially if they are not conscious.

Last edited:
PS - One of the real positives over the year in the UK is that now most dive boats have diver lifts. Great if you are wearing a twinset and stages. But also super for disables or handicapped divers. And let us be honest better for the average diver - much nicer to exit the water via a lift, rather than climb a ladder. It is also a wonderful tool if you do have to recover a casualty especially if they are not conscious.
Without that I don't think I would had managed to climb back to the boat in Scapa Flow.

In the bad old days - when I started diving - the statement was often "if you can't lift it you shouldn't be diving it". What rubbish.

That's not all that bad of a guideline depending on how you take it. You probably shouldn't be diving a rig for fun if you literally can't lift it without special accommodations like we give to disabled divers on The Lift to Freedom (shameless plug). Packing all your gear up a cliff in a single trip is a bit over the top.

If I can't carry it, I don't dive it. Make it a point of not letting someone carry my "stuff". I appreciate the chivalry offered, but if I don't carry it, I will loose my strength. So actually, chivalry is not doing us any favors.

When I was still diving doubles, I did leg presses and carried the tanks up and down a set of stairs. Now that I am in a rebreather for the last 10 plus years, weight has not been an issue.

Lately I replaced my 2 80-bail outs with carbon fibers and I can get up the ladder with all of my gear on. Before that, I would hand off an 80 and climb up with the unit plus 80.

I would also like to point out that there are many many weak male divers out there. So guys,...just because you think you are of male gender, does not mean you are fit to carry weight. As some other female divers have already pointed out, we can handle the weight from dive gear just fine. If you think of it: If you weigh 140 pounds and are fit, carrying dive gear is less of an issue than weighing 240 pounds, needing a weight belt, and carrying dive gear.

Another important but overlooked component is core strength. Managing weight and protecting your back can be managed better with a strong core.

Yes be active but don't be stupid. Just because you can lift and carry something does't mean it won't take its toll on your body over the years. (rant over)

Unfortunately it takes a few long lasting injuries for that lesson to really sink in :/

I talked with a boat captain in the USA about this, and he said he believed it could not be done with us because rules by OSHA (or somebody) would consider it an elevator and would disallow it unless it met certain code requirements that were unsuitable for the purpose. He said new rules would have to be added to allow them before they could be used.

If I can't carry it, I don't dive it. Make it a point of not letting someone carry my "stuff". I appreciate the chivalry offered, but if I don't carry it, I will loose my strength. So actually, chivalry is not doing us any favors.

When I was still diving doubles, I did leg presses and carried the tanks up and down a set of stairs. Now that I am in a rebreather for the last 10 plus years, weight has not been an issue.

Lately I replaced my 2 80-bail outs with carbon fibers and I can get up the ladder with all of my gear on. Before that, I would hand off an 80 and climb up with the unit plus 80.

I would also like to point out that there are many many weak male divers out there. So guys,...just because you think you are of male gender, does not mean you are fit to carry weight. As some other female divers have already pointed out, we can handle the weight from dive gear just fine. If you think of it: If you weigh 140 pounds and are fit, carrying dive gear is less of an issue than weighing 240 pounds, needing a weight belt, and carrying dive gear.

Another important but overlooked component is core strength. Managing weight and protecting your back can be managed better with a strong core.

Having seen to many injuries over the years due to people (both male and female), being macho about carrying equipment.

I still believe, where possible reducing the weight you are carrying, making use of assistance or 'tools' is far more sensible.

I have climbed back on to British liveaboards with a set of 12's and steel stages. I wouldn't do it now. That's up the side of a converted trawler, 8ft of freeboard at least. I could well do without a free ride in a helicopter due to an unearned bend.

I also agree that making the assumption that because some one is female they are weak , or male they are strong is idiotic. Also physical size is not a reflection on strength.

The other issue is moving about the deck on a rolling boat, again I have seen far to many injuries. If I am offered a steadying hand, a bench to sit on I will take the offer.

I agree that exercising so that you are comfortable with the weight is advisable. Having the strength reduces the risk of injury in the first place.

I talked with a boat captain in the USA about this, and he said he believed it could not be done with us because rules by OSHA (or somebody) would consider it an elevator and would disallow it unless it met certain code requirements that were unsuitable for the purpose. He said new rules would have to be added to allow them before they could be used.

That's a real shame. Not unusual that the officious compromise safety by following the letter of the law.
Getting an injured diver out on a lift is far easier than parbuckling them up the side of the boat. Not to mention the damage you do to them in doing so.

As I also said, a lift is a great aid for those with mobility issues.

However - you do still need a ladder 'just in case' the lift fails.

Back
Top Bottom