Kirby Morgan Superflow 2nd stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, with the adjustment knob they breathe very much like a well tuned Conshelf.
Same seats as the Conshelf, red, grey or black, doesn't matter.

Cheers. Ok, so other than the addition of the knob allowing for lighter tuning , performance wise they are much of a muchness...

I have not yet sourced a service manual but the schematic is available on DSI's website. I too have dropped some coin on NEW conshelf seconds. I really love the adjustment port on the latest ones. As far as a side to side comparison, I like the adjustment knob.... having said that, when compared to a properly adjusted conshelf, it will not produce any noticeable difference. Just my 2 cents. They are expensive but in my opinion, they are really not any more than comparable high end regulators.

At around over $700 for a pair it's a big chunk of change. Having said that I dropped over $600 on two new Conshelf 14s so I guess money/sense and all that. I've been eyeing them for quite a while now.

I have seen the second stages go for around $120 or so used. Fishpie sometimes has them for sale on eBay, he would have a better take on prices. The Abysmal branded ones sometimes go for a bit cheaper. In the early 2000s Abysmal sold Kirby-Morgan seconds with either a Coltrisub or Poseidon first. In case you are wondering what it is.

I'm back on charter in Papagayo waiting on guests, so nothing being sold at the moment.
Look out for "SeaSport" regulators on eBay as they are rebranded KM's with a different exhaust T. Can be found for less than $20. These are the plastic version. I have not seen any alternate versions of the metal KM's.

I seem to have a chance to pick a complete Superflow, 1st+2nd stage, metal body, quite used. Don't plan to try for the next depth record, so no real need, but it's for the price of a very budget reg.

Any reason not to do it? And anything I should look out for when checking it in person?

The 1st stage is not something I am not that familiar with......it always had Dacor, Parkway or Sportways early 80's look and feel to it to me. Undoubtedly better than those though. It's a balanced piston with swivel and although it looks different to a Scubapro I don't see anything about it to think it is an improvement over a MK5.
Like all used piston regs the condition it was put away and stored is important....rode hard and put away wet and there could be internal issues.....and it needs a pin spanner to take apart, I think I've mentioned my thoughts about pin spanners and used regs before.
The 2nd stage is more difficult to rinse than a regular non adjustable type and salty stuff can get trapped in the telescoping adjustment tube.....btw all the adjustment does is put pressure on the lever nut by a pin sticking out of the adjustment side tube.
This can seize up but a few minutes in some vinegar usually sorts it out.
Cool regs but not as reliable as a Conshelf 14 and probably not the performance of a MK5/10 BA/109.

8220EB06-A6AF-4346-9DA0-3ED9811A0C28.png
Have you dived one? I'm assuming they perform the same as a conshelf except you can tune them a little lighter due to adjuster? Trying to justify buying a pair. Do you know what percentage of parts, save knob, are shared with a conshelf? If the purge button is larger I'm guessing face plates are not interchangeable? I have 6 brand new conshelf face plates. I like the sound of "decades". Cheers.

If you go on the Kirby Morgan website or Deca Diving website you can find all the part info. I purchased them from deca Diving which has great customer service. It’s a commercial diving equipment website and doesn’t list prices. You have to inquire about a part and then the sales rep will reply with a quote, his name is Shawn he’s great. The sales rep delivered them personally to my hous since his mom lives in Santa Barbara. I decided to purchase the plastic ones, I figured they would be lighter and they were cheaper. they are a little bit different externally than the metal ones. The plastic cover is threaded and twists on so the cover won’t be interchangeable. They cost 260 each so not too bad. I’m not sure if the parts are interchangeable but I know they are extremely cheap. On deca Diving website if you search the superflow regulator and then click the accessories link the part next mover for the rebuild kit will show up. Or you can order internal parts individually like the red rubber seal and the metal part that it is attached to. Service is extremely easy I’m actually gonna post a video of disassembly and assembly then adjust.

I have not yet sourced a service manual but the schematic is available on DSI's website. I too have dropped some coin on NEW conshelf seconds. I really love the adjustment port on the latest ones. As far as a side to side comparison, I like the adjustment knob.... having said that, when compared to a properly adjusted conshelf, it will not produce any noticeable difference. Just my 2 cents. They are expensive but in my opinion, they are really not any more than comparable high end regulators.

I took an equipment class as part of the commercial diving program here at Santa Barbara City College and we were taught how to rebuild and service the kirby morgan superflow 350, which is the regulator attached to the KM Superlite dive hats. My instructor is also an an instructor of the Kirby Morgan Pro Dive Center in Santa Maria California. I do not recall there being a service manual with step by step instructions however we just referred to the blow apart diagram and he just taught us the procedure visually and then we had to perform numerous repetitions until it was planted in our memory since it was part of the final to pass the class. Adjustment and tuning is exactly the same on the superflow 350 and the superflow scuba 2nd stage just a few part are different.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom