USS Algol - Shark River Reef off NJ

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Basking Ridge Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499

USS Algol - Shark River Reef - sunk in 1991 - 130 feet to the sand but the main deck is about 100 feet - the superstructure in the photo is a multi level - 90, 80 and 70ish feet - give or take.
We tied in at the bow of the ship - Gypsy Blood another dive op was tied in on the superstructure when we arrived.
Dove solo off the Venture III - good boat very calm seas and good viz (about 25 foot - although folks were calling it 60 foot (that was not what I would call 60)).

I had a great first dive - I had planned my dive according to my gas needs with 32% nitrox. I even over planned the gas needs and rented 3 Al 80's - normally I just rent 4 and be done with it - this trip I was being a cheap *ss and saved myself some money.

On the SIT I was diligent and swapped tanks - but I got distracted and did not verify my tanks. I took a nap and woke up with folks gearing up so I jumped up and geared up. I was first in the water which is no surprise to those that see me gear up. What was a surprise was I forgot to turn on my computer which is air integrated. So somewhere about 20 or 30 feet I turned it on and proceeded down the line. At 60 feet I stopped to clear my ears and noticed my yellow gas reserve was on. Odd I thought I have at least a tank and a half on my back. Well no - I swapped the slightly used tank for a new tank not the one with 653 PSI - what an idiot. So knowing what I had done I swapped my reg and breathed off the full tank. I wanted whatever was in that empty tank as reserve. Because I had planned my dive I knew (or at least thought) I was on the edge if my RMV/SAC went up and I did not have nearly the reserve that I wanted.

So I continued down and just slowed everything down. I swam slow, I thought good thoughts and I monitored my gas supply. In the end I was fine I ran up to the NDL on the second dive and had plenty of gas for an emergency - not for buddy breathing but for me to get backup the line.

In the end I wont call it complacency but I will say I need to slow down in all things SCUBA. I could have surfaced and changed my tank at the 60 foot mark but I felt like I had enough gas due to me doing my plan. As I look back now is if anyone had come to me for an air share we both may have been in jeopardy. So next time I need to slow down and validate what I did which would have been easy turn on the tanks and the computer and take a look. Air Integration is a great thing if you use it wisely.

So lesson learned - great dive and I hope this helps a few of us that dive and may forget to check and double check things - this is not a race - check and double check as needed. Dive Safe.

GoPro was being a pain and would not let me load up audio... So think of it as a silent movie... lol

I had a lovely dive on that same reefed ship years ago with RJ and company. Watched a purple jelly wandering across the bow just dragging it tentacles along the marine growth while I hung at the bow. So amazing for something lacking vision.

Funny, you know that ship is "cursed" don't you? Something always goes wonky, I forgot to clip on my safety sausage and bag. I'm convinced that it all has to do with the nutcase L. Ron Hubbard.

RON THE "WAR HERO" - "Mister Roberts" and the USS Algol

I can believe it's cursed. Not needing a compass on this massive steel ship, I left it clipped to a D-ring. low and behold, it must of un-clipped when I splashed. I never made it to the sand to look for it. Sadly enough Sal lost his knife on this dive as well. So it's more of a thief then a cursed ship. I guess I should bring up Scubaboard while on the boats. Would be nice to out a face with your SB name. I was the guy with the silly full face mask.

Great video @Basking Ridge Diver

Kris

Last edited:
Cool vid thanks for posting. Brings back some memories . I actually saw a large manta ray one time on it . Was in the mid 90's diving on the dive boat Lady Grace. Also there is smaller rock pile mid ship area off in the sand that used to be loaded with loaded with lobster.

Funny that some of you would say the Algol is cursed. After making several more challenging dives this year, I recently had my first dive on the Algol and I'll just say it didn't go so well ....

I'll just say it didn't go so well ....

Ok - cant just leave us hanging there... lol feel free to expound on what happened...

Ok - cant just leave us hanging there... lol feel free to expound on what happened...

Ok I'll bite ... though it's certainly not something I'm proud of.

After having spent some time studying plans and pictures, I made my first dive on the Algol. It was a great day, decent viz & negligible current. I had a simple plan, proceed from the superstructure towards the bow, passing two cargo holds, around/through the second winch-house/structure and out the other side, and return to the superstructure.

After exiting the winch house, I started on my way back to the superstructure. Looking around I started to get the feeling that I wasn't exactly sure where I was (am I heading the right way, maybe I got turned around?)

No problem, if I'm going the wrong way I can shoot a lift bag and come up on that. Check for lift bag .... hmmm it's not there....

At this point I'm 2 minutes from NDL, wondering if I got turned around, and have two scenarios in my mind:

1) If I'm going the right direction, I come upon the superstructure and make a normal ascent to the boat.

2) If I'm going the wrong way, I'll end up having racked up some deco time and have to make an ascent with no reference. And even worse, I'll have some drifting decompression to do with no marker and lots of fishing boats in the area.

Being still within NDL, I decided to cut my losses and ascended right where I was. Of course when I got to the surface the boat was right there. After a short swim I was onboard, where I was greeted by my lift bag.

I believe my confusion came from difference in drawings of the algol, note the number of cargo holds shown:

ALGOL%201.25x2.5.jpg

algol_diagram.gif

Ok I'll bite ... though it's certainly not something I'm proud of.

After having spent some time studying plans and pictures, I made my first dive on the Algol. It was a great day, decent viz & negligible current. I had a simple plan, proceed from the superstructure towards the bow, passing two cargo holds, around/through the second winch-house/structure and out the other side, and return to the superstructure.

After exiting the winch house, I started on my way back to the superstructure. Looking around I started to get the feeling that I wasn't exactly sure where I was (am I heading the right way, maybe I got turned around?)

No problem, if I'm going the wrong way I can shoot a lift bag and come up on that. Check for lift bag .... hmmm it's not there....

At this point I'm 2 minutes from NDL, wondering if I got turned around, and have two scenarios in my mind:

1) If I'm going the right direction, I come upon the superstructure and make a normal ascent to the boat.

2) If I'm going the wrong way, I'll end up having racked up some deco time and have to make an ascent with no reference. And even worse, I'll have some drifting decompression to do with no marker and lots of fishing boats in the area.

Being still within NDL, I decided to cut my losses and ascended right where I was. Of course when I got to the surface the boat was right there. After a short swim I was onboard, where I was greeted by my lift bag.

I believe my confusion came from difference in drawings of the algol, note the number of cargo holds shown:

View attachment 420015

algol_diagram.gif

What boat were you on?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom