PSD Canada?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fraserpenny

Registered
Reaction score
hi everyone. I am a volunteer firefighter in my community and lately we have had a few drownings.
I was wondering if there are any PSD's in Canada and specifically Ontario.
I'm trying to get some info on the course as it seems that not many if any local dive shops here offer the course...

OPP have a team, my good friend has been a member for many years now.

From what I understand they have 2 teams of 6 divers each with 1 dive supervisor to cover all of Ontario..
Seems like no dive shop in Ontario has anyone certified to instruct the course.. that I have found so far
It really amazes me that with all the water in Ontario there isn't a demand to have people qualified to do this kind of work ready and willing to response much quicker than the OPP team can respond

From what I understand they have 2 teams of 6 divers each with 1 dive supervisor to cover all of Ontario..
Seems like no dive shop in Ontario has anyone certified to instruct the course.. that I have found so far
It really amazes me that with all the water in Ontario there isn't a demand to have people qualified to do this kind of work ready and willing to response much quicker than the OPP team can respond
Liability insurance and provincial ministry of labour commercial diving regs seem to be the stumbling blocks from what I have heard. The local police water unit has had to switch to full commercial rigs (Superlite 27s). As I understand it,they usually defer to the OPP and only get wet if the OPP teams are not available. I don't think that the provincial M of L recognizes the PSD training program yet.

Back
Top Bottom