Overlap between diving and aviation communities

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2airishuman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
@CuzzA observed on another thread that many of the posters were pilots. Anecdotally, there does seem to be a good deal of overlap. Is it common personality traits, or is there more to it?

I switched from flying to diving because I needed a cheaper hobby.

I'm betting motorcycle riding is over represented in divers too.

I got interested in diving at age 8 after reading children's novels where the kids were divers who went on great adventures. I certified at age 12 with my dad/buddy. I remember my dad saying to me during the course "apparently a lot of pilots also dive". My dad has his commercial pilot's license, and while it's not his day job, he has a lot of friends and acquaintances who are pilots. I kick myself for not doing my private pilot's license while I had access to an airplane at $0/hr.

I just finished "The Last Dive" audiobook and found it interesting that Chris (and some of his friends) were both into aviation and diving. There's got to be something to it.

I can't say I know a whole lot of people personally who both fly and dive. In my field (biomedical engineering) there are a disproportionate number of certified divers among my colleagues both past and present.

Like I said... I think it is a type A thing... The thrill of adventure...

Jim..

I have witnessed a lot of crossover. I took my OW in 2000 from a colleague who was a flight instructor with me. The course was comprised of 7 of us from the same unit.

Currently I have in my dive circle 3 airline pilots, 2 specops pilots, several ex SF jumpers and several divers who would fly if they had the budget.

With rebreather there is a definite mindset transfer (procedures, checklists, troubleshooting, calm under pressure etc)

I wonder if there isn't an ADD kind of thing going where some people need to "slip the surlies " and find a way to do it.

I for one get out of diving what I really wanted to get out of flying, the sense of 3D freedom.

I have that in an aircraft but there's a lot of insulation between me and the medium.

Fly, dive and ride....three ways to ensure you'll leave the kids nothing:)

@CuzzA observed on another thread that many of the posters were pilots. Anecdotally, there does seem to be a good deal of overlap. Is it common personality traits, or is there more to it?

I switched from flying to diving because I needed a cheaper hobby.

I have been diving for less than a year, but even in that short time I have to say I have noticed the overlap. Several divers that I have talked with at the local dive shop are pilots as well as those on SB.

I'm betting motorcycle riding is over represented in divers too.

I would also second the motorcycle connection, especially in the off-road crowd.

For me I find the risks/demands of flying similar to diving, and they are some of the last activities in modern culture where you still have personal responsibility, no excuses.

As soon as I started my diving training I found out that an awful lot of my pilot friends used to dive (none do currently though). And many of them also are motorcyclists too (about 50/50 on active/not).

Zero overlap between my auto racing friends and any of the above though oddly. You'd think it would be similar, but nope.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom