Sidemount, seems cool but why give it a try ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like being able to breathe 3000 psi on the first dive and still have 3000 to start the second.

Doubles are not available in many places. With a sidemount rig you can assemble a technical rig anywhere in the world you can find two scuba tanks.

It seemed he was pretty clearly asking about NOT-technical dives.

I like being able to breathe 3000 psi on the first dive and still have 3000 to start the second.

You mean like a single tank on the back and then a fresh single tank on the back for a second dive?

You mean like a single tank on the back and then a fresh single tank on the back for a second dive?

Exactly, um assuming you go ooa on the first dive...

Sorry Stu, what I mean is there is no need to sacrifice gas for reserve, you can breathe both cylinders down to half and still have the equivalent of a full cylinder left.
Just split the reserve for dive 2 between both cylinders.

Sorry Stu, what I mean is there is no need to sacrifice gas for reserve, you can breathe both cylinders down to half and still have the equivalent of a full cylinder left.
Just split the reserve for dive 2 between both cylinders.

Ha! No worries. I knew what you meant. I was just jerking your chain a li'l bit. :wink:

Also, if you're going to cite benefits of SM and tout "extra gas for the 2nd dive" as one, it's only fair to note that using back mount doubles is just the same, so I don't think that's really apples to apples to say that it's a particular benefit of SM.

I haven't used a single tank (other than working with an OW class) in well over year. I've only been using BM doubles, even for ordinary recreational, "fun" dives. And, I use double 120s. So, plenty of extra gas. Not sure how well it would work to use HP120s for SM. My SM tanks are 100s and it seems like 4" longer tanks might be problematic for me in SM as I am only 6' 1" tall.

I dive very frequently dive off boats in SE FL. There are occasional divers with doubles or a CCR. I have yet to have a SM diver on any of my almost 700 dives. What is the advantage for diving SM? With a few exceptions, divers with doubles or a CCR do two dives rather than one longer dive with deco. It's not a big deal changing tanks at the SI. I usually end up with significantly more dive time diving 2 tanks vs. a single dive. Some of the boats I dive on would not be particularly easy to get off and one in sidemount doubles. I'd be glad to hear about the advantages.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom