Lake Huron trip cancelled :(

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you. I'm having tons o' fun. Wrecks, lots and lots of wrecks. :D

Lake Huron tomorrow, wreck class on Lake Michigan in two weeks, and another charter on Lake Michigan with a friend in early September. Rescue class in late September. I was making plans for other training I'd like to do in the next several years a few days ago.

Mine's an AL30. Too big for some people but I like having a cushion. Doesn't get in the way in the water. I'm used to it and don't really feel it much. Do notice it when I'm getting out of the water! :D The funniest comment was from someone at the quarry once - they asked me why I didn't get a shorter one since I'm so short myself. :rofl3:

Dont I know you from another board? :)

I'm diving a couple of wrecks on southern Lake Huron Sunday off a friend's boat. Mary Alice B and the Regina. Good weather - yay!
Uhhh. Marie13, you do realize that the third most important scuba gear is air miles?

I enjoy your posts. You are the new Jim Lapenta...

Keep it up. And enjoy.

Until you go over to the dark side and become a warm water .. umh diver?

From a warm water wuss....

Uhhh. Marie13, you do realize that the third most important scuba gear is air miles?

I enjoy your posts. You are the new Jim Lapenta...

Keep it up. And enjoy.

Until you go over to the dark side and become a warm water .. umh diver?

From a warm water wuss....

I don't need air miles for Great Lakes diving! Just a working car!

Poor Jim Lapenta. I think you just insulted him! Why are you comparing me to him? :D

To me, the dark side is tech, not warm water. Haha

Last edited:
PICT0070.JPG
Pictures from today.

Mary Alice B. wheelhouse interior (wheel in place). The Mary Alice B is a tug from the 1920s that was sunk in the early 1970s. She is nicely intact. Speculation is that she's so intact as she was sunk for the insurance money.
PICT0073.JPG
PICT0058.JPG

This is a big gash in the side of the Regina. She's a steel freighter approx 250ft long that was at anchor during the "White Hurricane" storm of November 1913 that sent six freighters to the bottom of Lake Huron. She flipped clean over and is upside down. Her anchor and anchor chains are still in place. I didn't get to see her stern, prop, and rudder. Next time. The Regina sits at 75ft.

Bottom temp today was 66F on both wrecks. Nice and refreshing when you got some water in your suit on the surface, but we weren't cold at depth (we all dove wet).

Last edited:
20 min of total dive time on each wreck made me sad! :( I showed 9 min left of NDL when we started up from the 85ft wreck. AN/DP class is in my future, as in several years down the road. I actually bought the books last week. Made for some interesting reading when I skimmed through them.

My answer for every diving question (why do I want to go deeper, etc.) is wrecks. Period. I now have a number of friends/dive buddies who share my wreck interest, although maybe not to my obsession!

I take it the pictures of you by the wheelhouse didn't come out?

I take it the pictures of you by the wheelhouse didn't come out?

Dive buddies didn't have a camera. One tried taking pics with my camera (asked for it underwater), but if you've not been instructed which button to use for the shutter and how long to hold it down, you don't get pics. That's what I suspect happened. I was a bit disappointed, but I'll dive the Mary Alice B again. 20 minutes total dive time is too short!

Nice pics. Don't feel bad I was going out to dive the Yukon in San Diego. Got geared up and all gear on the dive boat. Two miles out in the Pacific and we got shutdown due to waves. Capt said we could dive but there was no guarantee that we would have a boat to come back to.

Nice pics. Don't feel bad I was going out to dive the Yukon in San Diego. Got geared up and all gear on the dive boat. Two miles out in the Pacific and we got shutdown due to waves. Capt said we could dive but there was no guarantee that we would have a boat to come back to.

:shocked:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom