Age, Illness, Bob Marley, and Scuba Accidents

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nd have a backup plan ready to fall back on when the inevitable sets in
In my 20s and early 30s, I was an avid volleyball player. My teammate and I won a doubles tournament, and I was much better in 6-man. I was an official with the professional volleyball league. That got short-circuited as I got fully involved coaching high school basketball, which was the center of my athletic life for a while. I stopped all that to coach my sons' soccer teams, taking them to play tournaments in Europe. I became a ski racer. By my late 40s, my knees were in terrible shape--ski racing was too painful to continue. My children were grown and no longer needed a soccer coach. That was when I discovered diving

In each case I was totally immersed in an activity, and in each case when I left that activity, it was over. I sometimes tune in a volleyball game and see a sport I barely recognize. I pretty much don't even watch basketball and can't name more than a handful of the top pro players. I rarely watch a soccer game today. Skiing? Pretty much never.

If I come to the realization that my health makes scuba dangerous, I am confident that I can walk away and replace it with an activity that will consume my time just as much. I don't know what that will be, but it will be something. When I was a brand new 22-year old school teacher, I got my first coaching job, taking on the leadership of the school's chess team. I have barely played since then. Maybe I will return to that.

So, if every dive was a crapshoot between life and death, would you choose to give up diving? Cause diving isn't safe.

So, if every dive was a crapshoot between life and death, would you choose to give up diving? Cause diving isn't safe.

Every time I drive a car, it is a crapshoot. Day to day life is a crapshoot. The question is what do you think the odds are today. If it is a blizzard, I do not drive. Odds worst. If dive conditions are bad, same thing.

Life is all about playing the odds. You have to decide whether the risk is worth the reward in everything you do.

Let's take crossing the street for example. If I am on a country road in kansas and can see for miles in each direction, I will cross in confidence. If it is a multi-lane interstate at night, I wouldn't even try. Most roads are somewhere in between, and I have to make a good decision.

Right now I see diving as reasonably safe because my physical condition does not present enough additional risk beyond scuba's inherent nature to give me additional concern. If that were to change, I would reconsider. If it became a real crapshoot, I would stop.

I would not.

Many are dead while still alive. We live for them. After we die, others will go on living for us. Enjoy life. Take risks in love and other passions. Play it safe in everything else. Winning isn't measured in years.

Answering honestly, Im terrible about seeing my doctor. For a man my age Im in better shape now than just about any time in the last 30 years. Ive managed to get my wife to dive with me, and the only thing that would keep me out of the water is the thought that she would see me pass, or hurt herself trying to save me.

If I found out I couldnt dive safely, Id hate to give it up. I hope I will should it come to pass. Same with motorcycles, flying, or any of my other hobbies.

In still ride my bike ....to work leasurely when it suits me.
We used to party & dance the night away ...now i wonder why ???
I still love the diving part . My fitness & health is better now than 15 years ago...so i dive . LEKKER.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom