Halcyon Focus 2.0

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

_Ralph

Contributor
Reaction score
Holy smokes, is this one heck of a light!

A few weeks ago, I sold off my 21w HID (Halcyon) and needed a replacement, so I decided to get the latest and greatest, the Focus 2.0.

I did change out the handle, as I'm not the hugest fan of the new style for the normal cold water diving that I do (anything above 40F is warm water to me), and took off the too small thumb loop (I never liked the hard thumb loops anyways, preferring a piece of medium bungee).

While I can't give a direct side by side comparison to the 21w, I can tell you that you can see this light in daylight in the shallows of clear water on light coloured sand/silt ... from 10 feet away ... something I haven't seen before (HID or LED).

It is way brighter than the previous generation (current) Flare, as I'm taking up the rear on DPV teams as I can't see the Flare lights if we go single file, but they can see the 2.0 from quite a distance back.

It does still have the (how does LM put it?) "annoying" square instead of the "proper" circle on tightest focus. You can back the beam off a touch and get your circle if it really bothers you (It doesn't to me ... mines a diamond!)

5hrs on high output, 15hrs on low output .....

My only complaint (minor) is the anodizing seems to be a little light (easily scratched) on both the handle and the body.

_R

I knew it wasn't a fair comparison but I measured the Focus 2.0 against the Xtar D26... It was 7x brighter.

Here's the beamshot:
20170805_142508.jpg

I have the original focus and I'm happy with that. So I can imagine a brighter version would be awesome!!

I went over to Halcyon's website to learn more about the Focus 2.0.

It is just borderline amazing to me that the page on the 2.0 doesn't say what LED emitter(s?) it has or how many. No picture to show how many LED emitters, either, so I'm assuming just one. It doesn't say what the beam angle is. It doesn't even say that the beam angle is adjustable! Nor does the page for the original Focus.

And, BTW, it says 3.0 hours on High and 5.5 on Low.

Focus 2.0 - Halcyon Dive Systems

It's like they expect people to buy it without knowing any of its details, just because it is blue and says Halcyon on it.

So, how many LED emitters does it have? From the beam pattern, I'm pretty sure it must only be one.

Does anybody know what the LED emitter is? For it to be 7X brighter than an Xtar D26, I think it would have to be a Cree XHP50.

And what are the beam angles at the limits (wide and narrow)?

Does anyone have any video showing the performance of the 2.0 compared to other "known" lights?

Well, Stuart asked about the burn time, and the discrepancy between what I said and what is posted on the website, so I went and did a burn test last night of my Focus 2.0

With my 2.0, I received a Focus/Flare manual (original). Don't think there is a 2.0 manual. The runtimes published 300/900+ minutes which is where the 5/15hr comes from with a 5Ah Lithium battery. (Halcyon manuals are sometimes a little lacking to be honest)

So that is the original Focus ...

With my 2.0, on high setting, the light shut off just after 9.5 hours of operation.

The output was consistent for the first 3.5-4hrs or so (hard to tell with the GoPro's auto settings and house lights/sun shutting off) and then it kicked down to the lower output. While the light was still outputting at the 9.5hr mark, I'm pretty sure I'd be on a different light/power source at that point as the usable light output coming out probably would be too low for comfort.... (Again, hard to tell when it went lower than the 'low' output with sun rising and my greenhouse kicking on for the morning)

I primarily do ocean dives in the 1-2hr range, so this works out well, even for 2 long dives in a day. If I were doing some serious cave (not quite there yet .. starting cave this fall), I'd probably purchase the e/o version and put on a larger battery for the run time required.

Hope this clears some mud on the matter,

_R

20170805_142508-jpg.421200.jpg

Funny thing ..... Focus 2.0 ......
When come MB SUB (almost ) all technical spit on squared led projection at max zoom .......

but on DIR forums they claimed on H Focus have NOT ANNOYING squared beam and 2.0 still have it:D , even we have led's which have circular surface or we can change projection with optics.

PS : what is dimension of square and distance between lamp and wall ?

Funny thing ..... Focus 2.0 ......
When come MB SUB (almost ) all technical spit on squared led projection at max zoom .......

but on DIR forums they claimed on H Focus have NOT ANNOYING squared beam and 2.0 still have it:D , even we have led's which have circular surface or we can change projection with optics.

PS : what is dimension of square and distance between lamp and wall ?

Kind of like how so many technical divers spit on wireless air integration? Until Shearwater came out with it....

It's like they expect people to buy it without knowing any of its details, just because it is blue and says Halcyon on it.

Probably because those details don't actually matter. Xtar, Cree... who give a $%&#!

Back
Top Bottom