Wing with Center Inflator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From watching the video, you observed right Achim's shoulder strap does crowd the inflator port a bit.
I have not researched this and do not know,..., I only am just about to set up my own very first BP&W (just regular, singles for now) but I wonder:
What if the shoulder webbing was attached to the inner BP instead?
Would that violate anything?
Would the upper BP connecting screw be overloaded (shouldn't if it is stainless steel I think, could there be a second one if need be)?
Would the outer plate bend? Doubt it, especially in SS, but even alu.
The lead edge of the wing would not be restrained from folding up by the webbing (less streamlined? ...not sure, if you need the air volume in the wing it will displace water and create drag somewhere...) and your shoulder straps would not go tighter and tighter on you the more you inflate.

Thanks for the repkIy. live in SE Asia, where SM is fairly rare. It's more of having the option to use SM but being able to use BM as well.
I beg to differ. Plenty of ppl in Singapore are getting into SM diving. Don't know what you are talking about.

If you don't want to buy two different systems, just buy the hybrid system.

Top 5 Convertible Hybrid Sidemount Systems

These can be converted into SM and BM. The newest one being Hollis Katana.

I doubt a tropical wing will have the lift you need, but Hog 23# tropical wings had center inflators up until last year. They changed the design but I believe there are some of the older versions out there as new old stock. Mine came from Dive Right In last November. I prefer a left shoulder inflator mount for single tank diving.

Good luck,
Jay

From watching the video, you observed right Achim's shoulder strap does crowd the inflator port a bit.
I have not researched this and do not know,..., I only am just about to set up my own very first BP&W (just regular, singles for now) but I wonder:
What if the shoulder webbing was attached to the inner BP instead?
Would that violate anything?
Would the upper BP connecting screw be overloaded (shouldn't if it is stainless steel I think, could there be a second one if need be)?
Would the outer plate bend? Doubt it, especially in SS, but even alu.
The lead edge of the wing would not be restrained from folding up by the webbing (less streamlined? ...not sure, if you need the air volume in the wing it will displace water and create drag somewhere...) and your shoulder straps would not go tighter and tighter on you the more you inflate.

I was considering attaching the shoulder webbing to the front plate too, but I was wondering if the front of the wing would taco up when in trim.

I'm not sure about stresses on the screws or tightening of the webbing when inflating though.

The HOG 32# wing may be what you want. And it's currently on sale for $149.

2 Left!**Special Limited Supply**32lb HOG Wing New Style ****Black/Red Model****

If the elbow is not perfectly in the center, you could always position the elbow to angle the hose towards the center, instead of being angled to the left. That seems like it would have the hose come out and around the shoulder strap without creating a problem.

Thanks for the suggestion! Too bad the only non-horseshoe shaped one doesn't come in the lift capacity I want...

You make it sound like DSS only has one size of donut wing. The Torus comes in 17, 26, and 35 pound lift capacities. And then there are Torus wings designed for doubles that are even bigger. They don't have a zipper, so you can't access the inner bladder to do a field repair if you ever need to. But, it's hard to imagine DSS doesn't have a donut size that is suitable for you.

If you don't want to buy two different systems, just buy the hybrid system.

Top 5 Convertible Hybrid Sidemount Systems

These can be converted into SM and BM. The newest one being Hollis Katana.

The Katana does not do BM.

Thanks for the repkIy. live in SE Asia, where SM is fairly rare. It's more of having the option to use SM but being able to use BM as well.
Even if sidemount is rare what would prevent you from using sidemount?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom