Be careful where and what you drink

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Years ago I worked at a very expensive, pretentious restaurant in North Carolina where the owner would routinely refill bottles of expensive wine with cheaper stuff for large parties. There are rip-off artists everywhere. :(

I usually stick to Indio when in MX.

@Dave Dillehay is this why we can't seem to be able to replicate the Dave's killer margaritas from your party last year? Were you adding some local flavor to them. :)

For what it's worth I can understand a lot of bars not just in Mexico watering their booze or refilling with cheaper booze to stretch the profits. When we were in Curacao even the mixers we watered way down. Pink tinted cranberry juice anyone?

I have a feeling it's more of a case of after the drinks who cares how many it was "but I've only had two" especially someone who is drinking shots. They are expecting to get wasted everyone else orders a cocktail/beer and relaxes watching the shot takers getting tattoos and STDs.

This tainted, alcoholic dead horse of a story has been beaten to death here, there and everywhere. I know I'm done with it but for those who chose to shoo the vultures away and continue beating on this carcass have at it. We need a new topic posted... Anything will do. Even I'll try to think of something.

Last edited:
Today Fox News reports a Wisconsin woman died at the swim up bar in Cancun and authorities discovered an "underground" distillery that provided home made alcohol to many Riveiera Maya Resorts. Her's occurred at an Iberostar but they also found the same problem a Fat Tuesday in Cancun.

May just be 100 proof or could be contaminated..No wonder the Cozumel Fat Tuesday regular maggie knocks me out!

Just one more thing to worry about, but from now on I drink mine out of a bottle bought at Mega.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

I, for one, appreciate your post. I know two year round residents of the island that have had similar experiences on the island. The last thing I want to do is steer people away from Cozumel, or Mexico and therefore want to acknowledge that this type of thing happens here, there, everywhere. However I DO think that people have a natural tendency to let their guard down when they are a few days into their vacation, when the exhilarating and expansive experience of travel meets with the friendly, welcoming ambiance of certain destinations (such as Cozumel). IMO, this makes people more vulnerable in a situation(international travel) where help is not necessarily going to be available the way you might think it would.

I, for one, appreciate your post. I know two year round residents of the island that have had similar experiences on the island. The last thing I want to do is steer people away from Cozumel, or Mexico and therefore want to acknowledge that this type of thing happens here, there, everywhere. However I DO think that people have a natural tendency to let their guard down when they are a few days into their vacation, when the exhilarating and expansive experience of travel meets with the friendly, welcoming ambiance of certain destinations (such as Cozumel). IMO, this makes people more vulnerable in a situation(international travel) where help is not necessarily going to be available the way you might think it would.

I assure you that all ingredients of Dave's Killer Maragaritas are purchased in bottles at Mega!

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Not sure if it's beating a dead horse. When this story first broke I waited to see where it would go. Was it simply a devastated family looking for answers and someone to blame? We all know that many Mexican vacations include far too much drinking. Were they making up excuses for bad decisions? Unfortunately, there have been far, far too many documented, witnessed and disturbingly similar stories that have now come to light. It's glaringly obvious that this has been going on for awhile, it just hasn't been given attention or legitimacy. Maybe for the same reasons I didn't immediately buy in.
I don't care how careful you are, if you have a drink or two and you've been given tainted alcohol you could die.People have. Are some of these instances druggings? I believe so. To become completely incapacitated, experience amnesia and then get into situations where you are robbed or raped seems too coincidental. I think that sounds like a set up and I don't think anyone can count on that type of reaction from tainted alcohol.
Will I stop visiting Mexico? No. Do I still plan on moving down (in 4.5 years, but who's counting)? Yes.
Do I feel a bit less safe? Yes. I'm always careful about being aware of my surroundings. I don't drink much. But this is out of my control unless I decide never to drink at a resort or restaurant. I will continue to have faith in people, trust my instincts and be aware I need to scrutinize where I spend my time more carefully, but I will no longer discredit the serious and very real risk.
What has really scared me is the running theme in all these stories.... staff and first responders who are indifferent. The lack of support from the police. The seemingly unethical and predatory actions of the hospitals. The acceptance by authorities and the blame they place on victims. This is much deeper than large resorts trying to save a few bucks. The government needs to step in and shut this down before it becomes entrenched and the dangerous corruption and collusion grows.

I have said this before, but perhaps this is the place to say it again:

Several years ago (20, maybe?) I drank so much out on the fishing boat that although I caught a big white marlin I do not remember it at all. The next day was a total loss as well; I stayed in bed most of the day with a world class hangover. What a waste of expensive and precious vacation time.

Since then, moderation is the key. I enjoy a couple of beers during the day and a glass or two of wine with dinner, and maybe a little Xtabentun if I'm not diving the next day, but that's about it. I can get falling down drunk at home if I want (not that I do it that much at all any more), but when I am on vacation I want to enjoy and remember every moment because life is short and I may not pass this way again.

So although I agree that the practice of adulterating drinks with counterfeit booze and who knows what else is deplorable, I have little or no exposure to it. Also, I go there with a group, and unless someone wants to drug us all, there's not much chance of anything untoward happening.

I must add that I have been going to Cozumel since 1978 and I have never witnessed a single incident of this kind there, ever.

Last edited:
I agree completely with Gordon except I do remember a few serious headaches from the old Carlos &Charlies!

Dave

This story was on my local news this morning. I believe in the credibility of this couple. They have photos, CT's and hospital receipts. I have been to Cozumel several times as well with large groups. Nothing like this ever happened. I am typically the designated driver and am cautious of my surroundings. I love the island and plan on returning several more times.
For over a decade I have been praising Mexico and trying to convince friends and co-workers to visit Cozumel. I have many co-workers(all levels of education) who refuse to visit the island because they think the drug cartels are lurking on every street corner. Recently a surgeon at my job had a daughter visiting Cabo San Lucas. While she was not drinking, she made the unwise decision to rent a moped. After skidding on some rocks and injuring her knee, she wound up in a hospital. Despite having travel insurance, this hospital would not release her until all 10's of thousands were paid up front. Her surgeon Dad flew to Cabo to release her and transport her back to the states. The hospital would not release her siting that she was "too unstable". It was a long, expensive and painful fight getting her back home. Sadly, my co-workers know this story and it fortifies their decision not to visit Mexico. Hopefully the exposure of the poisonous alcohol will also pressure the Mexican government to scrutinize the hospitals' practice of extorting $$$ from their American patients.

They blacked out at a Mexico resort. They woke up to a nightmare

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom