What capacity are these odd-sized Faber/ScubaPro tanks>

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spoolin01

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I picked up a couple of white Faber/Scubapro DOT 3AA tanks marked 2400, made in '92. The circumference is 21.5" which puts the diameter at around 6.8". I haven't taken the boot off, but I can see the bottle bottom and estimate the length is right around 26" to the neck top. A quick volume calculation shows them to have about the same solid volume as the Faber LP80 I got with them, which is 7.25" x 24". I've seen some mention that Faber made a 76 cu ft tank, is that what I've got? Can anyone give me the true specs for the tanks? I don't find these tanks in any of the spec charts I come up with.

thanks,
Mike

These sound like the LP80 that Faber made for Scuba Pro. Descent cylinders as singles as I remember them being fair negatively buoyant. I want to say -6 or -7 when full.

It sounde like the Faber 75.8 sold by scubapro around that time. I have seen them in white paint, black paint and galvanized finish. All them were galvanized underneath the paint.

The 75.8 cu ft capacity is at 2640 psi and it is 68.9 cu ft at 2400 psi. It holds 64.6 cu ft at 2250 psi which is important as some shops may mistake them for steel 72's and try to underfill them to only 2250 psi. The generic steel 72 held 71.2 cu ft at its 10% overfill pressure of 2475 psi and the Faber 75.8 holds 71.0 cu ft at that same pressure, so they are very similar in terms of internal volume. Bouyancy should be around 1 to 2 lbs negative when empty.

The Faber LP 80 was a 7.25" diameter tank that was 24" tall and had very similar buoyancy traits and both are about 7 to 8 lbs negative when full.

That sounds like a really great tank! Short, skinny, and roughly 120cuft when "properly" filled. I'm off to check out your ad, @tipdoggy

I have a similar question. I just picked up a Faber M120 tank. Marked BSM120. It is a 3180 psi tank. My shop will overfill by 10%. One guy in the shop said it is a 120cf tank at +10% (3498psi). And one person says it is a 120cf at 3180psi and overfilled it's about 132cf. The last fill they put 3450psi in it. How do I figure my sac rate. What cf do I put in the computer?

Scott

The Huron site says "Actual air capacity, cu. Ft. (at +10%)" is 120cf.
So that's 120cf at 3498.
I think the Indian Valley cheat cheat says 120cf at 3180 -"Final capacity, in cu. Ft. (+10%)".
So I still don't know.
And, I like the tank also. No weights need with this tank. Full it's -14lb. And I'm a tall guy so it height is not a factor.
Scott

Scott, it is a full 120cuft at 3498psi. On any cylinder with the plus rating it is "full" when filled to the "+" pressure.

LP85 - 2400+ psi cylinder is 85 cuft at 2640psi.
MP120 - 3180+ psi cylinder is 120 cuft at 3498psi.

OK Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom