X1 Users - What did you move to?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Colliam7

Tech Instructor
Staff member
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Folks,

I am a long time X1 user. I still use mine. But, I know it will not last forever. Since Huish bought Liquivision (presumably, in order to shut it down so they could push Suunto ?), I have been thinking that the logical next step is a move to Shearwater. And, I am OK with that. (I also dive a HeLO2 as my second trimix computer. Frankly, I like that unit as well. But, Suunto has moved toward form/fashion instead of function and I don't see any future for me in the Suunto line.)

But, I am curious - are there any X1 users who have moved in a different (other than Shearwater) direction, for a readable multigas / trimix computer?

all of the x1 converts that I know went to Shearwater. The exceptions were a couple that are in Europe that went OSTC but they aren't available in the US....

I doubt Huish bought Liquivision to shut them down because that happened 2+ years before Suunto went from Aqualung to Huish. The intent was to hav ea computer that complimented the Cobalt from Atomic but it obviously didn't work

As a side step I picked up a dirt cheap dive rite nitek Q4. Does what is needed for the cost of a trimix fill. My x1 shows no signs of dying and I'd likely pick up it's exact replacement if it dies.

I'll be joining the shearwater / OSTC faithful when need dictates.

Regards,
Cameron

Thanks, Tom and Cameron.

I probably shouldn't let my - shall we say - 'tastefully muted' opinion of Huish bleed through. I just have not had good experiences with the organization. And, maybe I am just being crotchety - I love my X1, and I saw it, and Liquivision, as a bright shining light in the midst of a dive computer eclipse. :)

It seemed to me that 5-8 years ago, there were lots of promising new entries in the DC market. Liquivision was going strong, Suunto came out with a trimix computer for under $1000 (the HeLO2), Dive Rite was at least making an effort to continue to develop the Nitek line (irrespective of whether they could actually get a product to market in a timely manner :wink:), and Shearwater was coming on strong. Now, Shearwater seems to be the survivor. That is nothing against the Shearwater line, I just love the size, the display, the functionality, etc of the X1. I am heading toward Shearwater, but thought I would check to see if other X1 fans found a different home.

My first trimix computer was the Nitek HE, and I still had that unit, as a tertiary back-up, until it was stolen last summer. Frankly, it worked for me, except it was hard to read u/w in dark conditions.

Last edited:
@Colliam7 I'm not the biggest Huish lover out there, but they definitely made an effort with Liquivision and cut it apparently due to component availability. Read that as the cost to redesign it with new components was too high so they pulled the plug.

Shearwater. I still bring the X1 along as back-up but I’ve never needed it.

Back
Top Bottom