Public Service Announcement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cool_hardware52

Contributor
Reaction score
I routinely am asked to make a recommendation regarding backplates and wings for new divers, or divers changing applications.

I'm happy to do so, and generally do at least 2-3 times per day.

To make a recommendation I need as much specific, honest information from the diver as possible.

Height, weight, exposure suit buoyancy, cylinder buoyancy are the main players.

To make a very specific a recommendation requested, i.e. "Do I need XX lift wing, or YY lift wing/" I need to have specific information that I have I high level of confidence in.

I do recognize that many divers don't know how buoyant their exposure suit is, or even what cylinders they have been diving. I can usually tease out this information with additional questions, but sometimes I need the diver to do bit of research and call me back. I am always interested in recommending gear the diver will have the greatest chance of success.

It would be unethical for me to make any recommendation if I don't understand fully the divers actual application.

I am perfectly content to refuse the sale if I cannot get the diver provide honest answers to my questions.

The last thing I want to do is sell gear that is unfit for the application, or gear that encourages unsafe practices.

Tobin

When I bought my BP/W setup from Tobin I thought I 'needed' a number of other things with it. Tobin disagreed with what I thought I needed and actually recommended that I not spend the extra money on more of his gear. It turns out he was right (he tends to be right quite often when talking about dive kit!). What he sold me is exactly what I needed. The other items would have been used and then put into the box of 'stuff I didn't really need to spend money on'.

The key was giving him as much info as I could and then letting him educate me. I've had mine for 8 or so years and it is still perfect kit.

I couldn't find a place to review DSS, so I figured here is as good as anywhere.

Before purchasing my BP/W, I called and talked to Tobin. He spent a good 30 minutes and a very thorough breakdown of my diving needs to determine which backplate and wing combination would fit the bill. His explanation involved my specific exposure suits, tank types and sizes, as well as personal buoyancy. I was extremely impressed at the amount of detail Tobin put in to the explanation.

Thank you Tobin, I can't wait for my new BP/W to arrive!

And that is why Tobin gets the many recommendations he receives here on SB.

It's ScubaBoard and how thourough Tobin was that made me want to buy his bcd. I got mine last year it is is fantastic! I have had other divers comment on how tight the tank fits to the wing with my single tank, I guess that is a problem with single tank adapters, but I have never had an issue as I have had only 1 bcd this whole time, and the plastic STA is built in.

The only thing I think I would pay more money if I had to redue my purchase is to see if Tobin had a thicker backplate so that I could take less to no weight down with me as I only need about 4 pounds in the summer. (I don't know how realistic that is though... might have to be a pretty thick backplate lol)

It's ScubaBoard and how thourough Tobin was that made me want to buy his bcd. I got mine last year it is is fantastic! I have had other divers comment on how tight the tank fits to the wing with my single tank, I guess that is a problem with single tank adapters, but I have never had an issue as I have had only 1 bcd this whole time, and the plastic STA is built in.

The only thing I think I would pay more money if I had to redue my purchase is to see if Tobin had a thicker backplate so that I could take less to no weight down with me as I only need about 4 pounds in the summer. (I don't know how realistic that is though... might have to be a pretty thick backplate lol)

He does have plates that bolt to your current backplate to add weight. My dad uses them and has been satisfied. 8.1 Lbs (per pair) Bolt on Weight Plates, Medium SS scuba

Been diving a DSS backplate, single, and doubles wing for 12 years. Never have had and issue and recommend them to everyone.

lol don't tell me that I might spend more money on dive gear

Not my ad but if you happen to have a medium plate you can buy a used set here
For Sale - DSS Weight Plates for Medium BP

You don't see them for sale used very often.

I have a set and they are awesome. Makes my medium dss ss plate weigh 12.8 lbs. Plus you don't even have to rethread the webbing to put them on or remove them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom