Reg mouthpiece rubs gum due to pulling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Obviously, it's a very personal decision based on the many responses. I've tried the sea-cure mouthpieces and hated them. Many others like them though, so it's possible you will too.

The soft "comfo bite" mouthpieces are a big help. Until you get more comfortable diving, you're going to occasionally bite through them, so buy extras. It would suck to skip a dive because your mouthpiece is broken.

Good length hoses can help in a big way

Swivels or angle adapters on the end of the hose can help. Angle adapters are generally considered "safer" than a swivel because swivels have a little screw you have to occasionally check to ensure it isn't coming unscrewed. I've never had a problem, but other people have posted reporting that they did. XS scuba has a swivel with no screw, it doesn't move quite as freely as the other swivels but it does eliminate the risk.

Personally, I used a comfo bite mouthpiece and longer hose and a swivel. I really like routing the regulator hose under my shoulder/arm rather than over it. I feel like I have stuff sticking out everywhere when the hose is out over my shoulder like "normal."

The only option I didn't like at all was the sea-cure.

I'd like to caution you against swivels and bends against most of the advice in this thread. Both create impingement and fire hazards with high o2 mixes (41%+). Not like critical immediate hazards, but significantly non-negligible hazards for sure.

You are kidding right? This is the basic discussions forum, and the OP is asking a question that a technical diver would likely not need to ask....

You are kidding right? This is the basic discussions forum, and the OP is asking a question that a technical diver would likely not need to ask....

Why wait till tec diving to follow good safety protocols?

Well that's like saying only raceway drivers need seat belts and side airbags and antilock breaks and power steering and traction control.

No, not even close. However, what you are saying, is that everyone driving a vehicle of any type, needs a 7 point safety harness, a Hans Device, a full roll cage, and on board fire suppression....

No, not even close. However, what you are saying, is that everyone driving a vehicle of any type, needs a 7 point safety harness, a Hans Device, a full roll cage, and on board fire suppression....

Honestly roll cages, a seven point harness and Hans devices absolutely would prevent a majority of auto-wreck injuries. I'm advocating for safety you're advocating for danger. Stop and ask yourself why you're advocating against safe practices.

I must have missed something, swivels and right angle adapters cause a fire hazard? We're talking about chrome plated brass and one or two extra o rings, they would not cause anymore hazard than the reg itself.

I must have missed something, swivels and right angle adapters cause a fire hazard? We're talking about chrome plated brass and one or two extra o rings, they would not cause anymore hazard than the reg itself.
I use a 40" hose under my arm with an Omniswivel for singles diving, very comfortable.

Back
Top Bottom