Open Water course either in Columbia or Panama

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hey. Im going to travel in Panama and Columbia next january and february. Couple years ago I did discover scubadiving two times in Thailand and now I would like to do the Open Water course either in Panama or Columbia. I really enjoyed the dive in Phi Phi islands Thailand, lot of colorful colars and fishs so I'm looking same kind of diving this time also.

First I was planning to do course in Santa Catalina and Coiba island in Panama, but I read that it's not the best place for beginners. I also understood that there isn't that much corals, more big fishs and other animals.
From Columbia I read that Capurgana and Sapzurro has a big well preserved reef and lot of colorful corals, but january and february isn't the best time to dive there due the strong currents and less visibility.
San Andreas and Isla Providencia is supposed to be the best diving in Columbia? How are the diving conditions over there january and february?

So Im asking from you more experienced divers, which place would you recommend for me? Thanks for your help!

Taganga, Colombia (near Santa Marta on the Northeast coast) has scuba schools that have Open Water Diver courses at very reasonable prices. I did not take a course, but I went diving with Oceano Scuba, and I recommend them. They have a good, professional operation; competent instructors who know well the sites and stress safety and encourage fun. Take a moment to look them up (try Trip Advisor).
The dive sites off that coast (in the waters of Tayrona National Park) are not quite as spectacular as those of the Andaman Sea, but still pretty nice, and the water is warm (warmer than on Colombia's Pacific coast). I cannot tell you the weather or water conditions for the months you want (I went in June; you want Feb, no?), but you can look up that info online.

Yes, I too understand that Colombia's Caribbean islands San Andres & Providencia have great diving. But they are quite remote -really, they are off the coast of Nicaragua- and, as I have never been, I cannot speak about prices or schools.

FYI: If you do decide to go to Colombia, you will see T-shirts for sale that read: It is "Colombia", not "Columbia". Pay heed. :)

My wife just completed her Scuba Diver certification (the first 3 chapters of the Open Water) in Cartagena, Colombia with Barracuda Divers Cartagena. They are the best dive school for beginners that I encountered in any country so far.

If you happen to go with them, I also recommend staying at the Hyatt Regency Cartagena, it is close enough to walk to the dock they used, has no bad rooms (all from floor 18 to 31 with amazing views) and they treat you extremely well. They even allowed her to do the confined water exercises in their pool.

The sights might not be as magnificent in Cartagena (they took us to Baru) as in San Andres & Providencia, but they are quite nice. You can probably ask to do your dives at the Rosario islands which is even nicer (although with a longer boat ride).

Here is what my friend sent me:

I don't have an account on scuba board.

Can you just post an update. If the person would like to find out more about Panama Caribbean diving close to Panama City to reach out to me on my FB page of Jolly Roger Diving.

Let them know it's a brand new location so everything is new and I'm still getting stuff setup. By Jan/Feb I should be 100% with an operating Dive Boat and amazing house reef.

Btw: just saw a great octo at 20fsw on my reef this weekend

I've being diving at the Rosarios, it was okay but very expensive was my experience.

You can easily fly from Panama City to San Andres, take your lesson there or on its sister island Providenciales.

Then another easy flight to Cartagena from San Andres.

I highly, highly, recommend Golden Frog Scuba in Portobelo, Panama. It's on the Caribbean side, so it's easier diving than the Pacific (better for learning). The owner is a really good instructor and very patient. He's fluent in both spanish and english. His shop is in the hotel, so the boat is just steps away from your room each morning.

I got my open water certification in late March/early April 2016 in San Andres with San Andres Divers and I had a great experience. My instructor was friendly and really knowledgeable (Carlos A Molina) and I paid a very reasonable price. At the time I paid 800k COP, which was less than 280 USD.

The weather and the visibility were amazing and I just love San Andres and Providencia.

Back
Top Bottom