Photoshop Premiere

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hammerhead man

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have been using photoshop elements for many years to edit my underwater photos. I was wondering if anyone uses photoshop premiere elements to edit videos? I can get a bundled price for both elements and premiere elements a lot cheaper than buying, say lightroon, and a photoshop elements separately.

Photoshop is a Photo editor, Premiere a Video editor. There is nothing called "photoshop premiere elements" except as the title of both products on a package.

About the only overlap is you can create titles, graphics etc. and import them into your videos or use Photoshop to further correct/enhance a still grab made from a video frame since Premiere's tools are weak in that area. You can already do that with the Photoshop Elements you own.

I personally use Photoshop for my still work and although I do own an earlier version of the Creative Suite, I much prefer the interface on Sony's Vegas Movie Studio Platinum - over the included full version of Premiere in my Creative Suite pkg.

Poke around on the websites, most of the video editors have a free trrial you can download/install - often they're time/file size limited or embed a watermark in your finished product till you purchase the product key but it allows you to explore the design/features.

I used the full Premiere years ago in a past job, I still like VSMP better. Either product has an upgrade also, Premiere Elements to Premiere or VMSP to Vegas Pro which does more than I need so I've never upgraded.

I don't know because I don't use it but I thought Lightroom was only for photo manipulation also?

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, are you using a Mac or a PC? If you are using a Mac, iMovie is a low cost (around $12 IIRC) video editor that is a good basic editor. Do not expect to give ILM a run for their money, but for vacation videos, it does a very good job. For a photo editor, assuming that you are shooting RAW, there is an editor that is put out by MacPhun called Luminar that looks interesting.

I have not tried Luminar yet, but I do use (and really like) other MacPhun products, so I would imagine that Luminar is similar in its versatility and ease of use.

With limited output options - 720P HD or Youtube only - Lightworks has a free version also - PC or Mac. It gets pretty pricey to upgrade though. I've played around with it and would have to un-learn a lot of things I do with the other programs I use but since you're just starting out, see if it makes sense to you.

Lightworks: The professional editor for everyone

If you are going to go with Adobe Premiere Elements or Premiere Pro CC, go Pro CC. I used Elements for several years, easy to use, but so slow and time consuming if stabilizing video clips. I recently changed to Pro CC and my computer runs much faster. Don't be intimidated by the look when you open Pro CC. Lots more panels showing up on the screen. There are some tools that Elements has that Pro CC doesn't. You can still do them, just not as easy.

For reference I was running both on two machines. Both have a mid-range I7 processor with 8 Gb memory on one and 32 Gb on the other machine. Both have SSD drives. It might take me 16 hours to stabilize an hour worth of clips on Elements. Far less than that on Pro CC since it can take advantage of the graphics processor.

I used Premiere for years to edit my SD video, then switched to Premiere Elements when I starting shooting HAD. I found Elements to be a bit buggy, especially when adding menus (text font size and placement issues). When I used it on HD footage I found it to be terribly slow. I switched to Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum and never looked back. It has handled my Sony HD and SD (AVI) footage well, both individually and when mixed in a project. I run on a PC.

I switched from somethingorother that corel bought out to Adobe Elements (Premier & Photoshop) at about v11. I'm now up to v15 and still like using the set. I also have Lightroom for photos as it's arguably the best photo software available for PC.

I used all 3 also on my mac when I had one as the box contained versions for mac and pc. Nice to just learn one interface.

That said, I did have to BUY apple's quicktime for my pc so that Premier Elements would read the MOV files from my go-pro clone (odrvm). That was a pain but cheap at (I think) $15.

The video software is pretty good. Some of the tools and effects seem to be intentionally hard to find, but once found are pretty easy to use. Multiple levels of undo really help.

I won't go with the CC versions simply because I have a built-in hatred of subscription software and refuse to play the game.

I use Divinci Resolve since it is free and is as powerful as Adobe Premier. Premier is extremely expensive and is also a subscription so the cost of ownership keeps going up every year.

You can still buy the Elements set outright. As soon as Adobe forces me onto the subscription model I'm gone.

Back
Top Bottom