Burlington Ontario man in critical condition after Lake Superior diving accident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Very sad news, condolences to family and friends.
Anyone knows if he was diving OC or CC?

hypoxic injuries is typically, but not solely associated with rebreather diving.

hypoxic injuries is typically, but not solely associated with rebreather diving.

I won't speculate on this specific accident, but in general, anoxic brain injury can come from a number of things, e.g. a medical event that renders the victim pulseless.

Best regards,
DDM

I stated that he was on a rebreather because I am aware that he was on a rebreather, not because of the cause of death.

interesting that the family use anoxic brain injury to decribe the incident, instead of stroke or hart attack that also cause hypoxia, at least to me.

I was not aware that the coroner's report on the death is availble yet, but cause is listed less than 72 hours after event by the family.

condolences to the family

Yes, our Coroner really is fantastic like that, and is a very experienced diver himself. He is working with the Ontario Underwater Council to increase awareness of incidents in order to help prevent similar incidents.

I am Scott Stit's wife and humbled by the reaction of the dive community. Scott died using a CCR Sentinel Rebreather on initial descent in very shallow water. The Coroner has concluded that there is no medical reason for brain anoxia (not hypoxia). So no stroke, heart attack, aneurysm, etc. The OPP has seized his dive and camera equipment and is still investigating what happened in those precious first 5 minutes of what would be his last dive. I appreciate everyone's kind words and condolences.

Prayers for you and your family.

Jodi I'm am so very sorry about Scott. I enjoyed his company during his Hamilton and Scourage presentation at Bay Area Divers in Sandusky last fall. We had a lot in common as he was very interested in the wrecks that I had participated in the discovery of. Our Sheriff Department has a good working relationship with OPP and we helped them on recovery and investigations. I hope they will do their utmost as they've done in the past when we've worked with them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom