Diving on a budget - your tips?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While I'm not hurting for money, I like to save up my PTO for long vacations every year. I'm looking for ways to do some quick trips to dive on over 3-4 day weekends. Since it will be a limited amount of time, I don't want to spend excessive amounts of money on short trips.

Your main issue is travel time, which will rule out a lot of destinations. I don't think you'd be interested in all that effort to get only 1 full day of diving.

Also when traveling alone, the single supplements charged by many dive resorts and liveaboards can really increase the costs.

AirB&B or other such - I always travel single and rent an apartment - almost always for less than the rate of a resort even without the single suppliment.

This time on Bonaire I have an apartment to myself, on the Cliff site for a bit less than I would have paid to stay with my club at Buddy dive - sharing a bathroom and kitchen with 5 others and a bedroom with someone else. I also have my own truck instead of sharing with 5 others. No comparison.

I'm only one resort over so I can still get together with them - it's just way plusher for less.

Your main issue is travel time, which will rule out a lot of destinations. I don't think you'd be interested in all that effort to get only 1 full day of diving.

Right - if it's not too far I'd personally be OK with 2-3 full days of diving somewhere.

I'm thinking:
- fly in on a thursday afternoon (no PTO, work from home half day and make it up)
- Dive on a friday
- Dive on a saturday
- Dive 1/2 day on a sunday (24 hours decompression)
- Fly out Monday afternoon that's a holiday (so no PTO)

A little rushed, but seems like enough time as long as I'm not flying -too- far with too many connections. Downside is that flights will be more expensive on those holiday weekends if I can't use points. I could also easily be convinced to just burn 1 or 2 PTO days, but wouldn't want to spend a whole week.

Right - if it's not too far I'd personally be OK with 2-3 full days of diving somewhere.

I'm thinking:
- fly in on a thursday afternoon (no PTO, work from home half day and make it up)
- Dive on a friday
- Dive on a saturday

A little rushed, but seems like enough time as long as I'm not flying -too- far with too many connections. Downside is that flights will be more expensive on those holiday weekends if I can't use points. I could also easily be convinced to just burn 1 or 2 PTO days, but wouldn't want to spend a whole week.
@ls1dreams

I did exactly this many times while I was still working. I flew down to West Palm on Thursday afternoon or evening, did 4 dives on Friday, 4 on Saturday, and 2 or 4 on Sunday, depending on whether I was flying back to Philadelphia early Monday morning or Monday afternoon. It was easily worth it to me to get in 10-12 dives in exchange for 1 or 2 vacation days.

@ls1dreams

I did exactly this many times while I was still working. I flew down to West Palm on Thursday afternoon or evening, did 4 dives on Friday, 4 on Saturday, and 2 or 4 on Sunday, depending on whether I was flying back to Philadelphia early Monday morning or Monday afternoon. It was easily worth it to me to get in 10-12 dives in exchange for 1 or 2 vacation days.

Yup - honestly right now a few days of diving is plenty for me - it gets a little repetitive unless the site is really good. Always nice to have a little extra time to relax though since I typically don't drink hardly at all nights before dive days.

Yup - honestly right now a few days of diving is plenty for me - it gets a little repetitive unless the site is really good. Always nice to have a little extra time to relax though since I typically don't drink hardly at all nights before dive days.

I work on 9-80 schedule, so I have every other Friday off (3-day weekend). August 11th was my Friday off. So I flew with Southwest Airlines from Houston to Fort Lauderdale on Thursday evening after work. Dove under Blue Heron Bridge on Friday. Went with Scuba Works charter boat for 3-boat dive in Jupiter on Saturday. Flew home after 24h degassing on Sunday. Went back to work on Monday No vacation days taken.

Plan to do similar weekend diving during Labor Day weekend (in 2 weeks) in Wilmington, NC with Aquatic Safaris Diver to see sand-tiger sharks around Hyde & Markham wrecks.

Last edited:
I agree that shore diving is cheaper and builds great experience, but the OP will probably be traveling alone and will likely need to buddy up with someone for shore dives - and it isn't always easy to find a buddy on the spot. You also need to rent a vehicle to get the most out of shore diving and that adds some expense.

The OP can utilize the regional forums here, or Meetup.com, facebook has scuba diving groups, or other online sources to find a buddy to do shore dives. Many times these scuba diving groups arrange regular dives that you can attend.

I went to Oahu and used Meetup to hook up with a local - he took me to Electric Beach for a bunch of shore dives -- he was a DM candidate, so he was looking to increase his dive count. As I provided the ride and gas, he provided the tanks & air. Had I more time I could have done more shore dives around the island.

So OP, as long as you feel confident in diving without a professional dive guide, you can go that route.

Think of a location with good free or cheap shore dives. Search online for a buddy or dive group. Then go dive!

I'm thinking:
- Dive on a friday
- Dive on a saturday

That should work.

I'd shoot for destinations that have direct flights and multiple flights in/out per day.

Delayed stopovers to more obscure destinations can turn a 3-day dive trip into a 0-day dive trip.

Last March I did a 4 night trip to Cozumel.

Friday morning early flight to Cancun- Bus and ferry and I was on a 2 PM single tank boat.
Saturday 2 tank morning trip, one night dive.
Sunday 2 tank morning trip.
Monday 2 tank trip, rinse gear, took nap, while gear was drying, packed gear and headed to Playa for the night.
Tuesday- headed to airport for a 1 PM flight after a leisurely morning.
I would have been fine staying in Cozumel Monday and leaving for the airport in the morning but I had got decent room for a good price in Playa. Could have squeezed a couple more dives in to if I wanted to.

I spent 2 weeks in Utila, about 1 hr ferry ride ($35??) from Roatan or 10 minute plane ride ($125 Island Air). Most dive shops offer free housing if you dive with them. I used Utila Water Sports, professional and fun dive shop, plus the mayor of the island owns the dive shop. I did 26 dives with them and the cost was around $1000, but that included doing 4 SSI specialty courses which included 2 night dives.

@ls1dreams I'm also looking for new dive partners, new diver myself (32 total dives). I have plenty of PTO to use whenever. send me a message if interested in planning a trip. SSI AOW w/Nitrox certifications.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom